senu
senu asks:
Q:

Describe two special methods for teaching reading to students with severe reading disabilities?

describe two special methods for teaching reading to students with severe reading disabilities ?
apply one method with one of your student for three weeks and make a report how student respond to the strategies?
In Topics: School and Academics, Helping my child with reading

|

NannaHelen
NannaHelen writes:
I have had many children with reading difficulties in my classes, including one I was told would never be able to learn. I used an australian reading scheme called Fitzroy Readers and a lot of time and patience with great success ... every time.

This reading scheme introduces a new sound and a very few new sightwords at the beginning of each book. They are practiced first and the method of introduction is very precise. All other words used are already known. This helps build confidence as they will be familiar with most of the words in each new book.

There are workbooks linked to each level for spelling and language skills. These workbooks and the comprehension exercises at the back of each reader use only the vocabulary already known so that the child can gain independence quickly.

At the beginning of the school year I would train the parents of the children who were behind in their reading to use the scheme. I would check that the children were 100% perfect with each book before they could move on.

The children loved moving on to the next reader as they were all numbered so they could see their progress. Progress was faster the higher they climbed which was motivating for these poor kids that had had a rough two years at school before my year.

Children with learning difficulties learn better early in the day as school tires them out far more than their more fortunate peers. Homework is best done before school or at the week end rather than after school when they are exhausted and really need a break.

In addition, it is important to read lots of interesting books to children that are slower at learning to read so that they too can learn to love books and see that the effort is worthwhile. Good luck.

1
1