Anonymous
Q:

diabetic 10yr old

i have a 10yr old type 1 diabetic grandson, he hasnt attended school for the past week, and absolutely refused to go. his mom gets him ready for school, then he says he's not going, he throws himself on the bed kicking and screaming, using filthy abusive language to her, and at times to me, his mom is a nervous wreck, and at her wits end. he's not bullied at school, in fact he's very intelligent beyond his age. my daughter is a single mom, but he has continual contact with his dad. now his dad is threatening to get full custody of my grandson because my daughter seems to have no controll over him, he takes no notice of me either. if he's disiplined at all, the language that comes out of his mouth is disgusting. what is a person to do. any advise would be more than welcome.
In Topics: Physical Health, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Having a child with a chronic health condition is stressful as it is.  When he acts out, it only adds to the stress.  Sounds like you have a lot on your plate.  

You mention that the father is trying to get custody.  That alone can be stressful not only to the adults, but also to children.  Your grandson may have overheard things said by the father in relation to the custody issues and why the father thinks that would be the best course, and now the boy acts out on that.

Remember that even chronically sick children need discipline: rules and consequences, to be able to function in the family and community.  Your grandson needs to know what is expected of him and what consequences will be implemented if he does not fulfill those expectations.  His mom needs to have a frank discussion with him about that.  Make sure that all adults involved in the boy's life know what the expectations and consequences are, so that everybody can be consistent.

If you still have a problem with his attitude and behavior, consult with a pediatric therapist.  Your regular health care provider will be able to recommend one in your community.

Bets regards.
1
0