Qtodie22
Qtodie22 asks:
Q:

My diaghter is being mean to her cousin

My daughter who is otherwise a caring daughter, sister, friend has this negative relationship with her boy cousin. They are both 5 and we live next to each other. She only has one other cousin who lives further. I want them to develop a closer more caring relationship, but instead my daughter is mean and dominate toward him. He has his own issues...he doesn't stand up for himself...at school or with my daughter and they have developed this unhealthy relationship. My daughter is strong-willed and a little bossy but when it comes to her cousin I hate the way she acts. When all is well, they do play ok. She is in charge and he is just happy that she is paying attention to him. When she says something mean, he'll come to me and look like his world has fallen apart. She wants to play with him. She is always asking to go over and I know she does love him, but something takes over and makes her say the mean things and also play the "ignoring" game.

I've tried strong consequences, long talks where I've cried in front of her but I am so frustrated, and simply ignoring. Do I limit the relationship, ignore and let it be , or continue reminding her what to do. What about my nephew...how do I help him stand up???

I'm a school teacher...with I thought I had all the answers...but I am stumped. I don't know what to do.. I think its hurting our relationship that is otherwise positive and loving. Please help???

|