striver33
striver33 asks:
Q:

Who can diagnose dysgraphia?

I think my 2nd grader may have dysgraphia.  However, she is doing well in school, so I don't think the school will approve a psychoeducational evaluation to be done.  But, it takes her a long time to do her homework, especially writing tasks.  Her writing is messy, although it has approved since the beginning of the school year.  So, if I want her assessed privately, who is the professional who can diagnose her?  (pediatrician, OT, psychologist?)?
In Topics: Learning disabilities

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

In my opinion, a School Psychologist and/or Occupational Therapist may be of assistance for you.

0
1

Because dysgraphia is a neurological disorder, I suggest that you discuss your concerns with your child's pediatrician, who may refer you to a neurologist. I'm including some information below that you may also find helpful.

Thank you for asking!

0
0
janetteb
janetteb writes:
I have been working to help my son with his writing problem since he began pre-school. I held him back in Kindergarten in hopes that he would catch up. He is now in fourth grade and is ten years old. His writing has barely improved from pre-school. I believe that he is disgraphic, however, the school system in Florida does not acknowledge dislexia or disgraphia. His i.q. is above normal yet he is failing. He has given up in the classroom and cries daily before he leaves for school. He comes home with all F's. because he can not write. Verbally, he can answer easily, his anxiety and depression has gotten so much worse due to this condition and it gets worse as other children keep progressing and moving faster and your child is completely left behind. If you believe that your child is disgraphic and you can afford to have her tested, do it ASAP! It does not get better.
Good luck.

0
0
JamielaIsmail
JamielaIsmail , Teacher writes:
occupational therapist (OT)

0
0
seemerun
seemerun writes:
Hi Striver,

I have to say, I am running into the same problem. My son is in third grade and I believe he has dysgraphia. It is very frustrating because he has been getting good grades in school, reads well and is very imaginative, but is unable to write a simple sentence, his words are all over the place, he cannot stay on the line while writing, yet, the school is refusing to test him. He has pretty much all the symptoms of dysgraphia, except for maybe one. I am under the impression and by all I have read, it is a neurological problem and needs your child should be tested by a neurologist.  Let us know what happens. I am curious. Thanks, and good luck!

0
0