wayne5800
wayne5800 asks:
Q:

What are the difference between East Asia learning style and Western learning style?

learning style
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Learning styles and differences

|

I was very interested in your question as I teach at a college level American Sign Language.  Often I have students from East Asia come in to my classes because they are not only fascinated by the language itself, but are interested in special education and deaf cultural issues in the United States.

I have noticed that many of these students are quite shy and defer to the teacher for all discussion while the local students are more engaged in conversations.   Asian born students who have lived in the U.S. for some time, however, tend to adopt more western forms of learning and associating with teachers and peers.

Often it is the teachers responsibility to try and bridge the gap by pairing East Asians with American students within the classroom.  Also, asking about their home culture and educational experiences is of value to help with their transition.  For example,  I have found out that many of my students did not understand "deaf culture" as that was not existent in their home country.  (For some, the deaf are hidden and thought of as retarded and unable to be educated)  This sharing of information also opened the eyes to many of the American students who did not consider deafness a disability as they live in an area where deaf people and hearing people live and work together very well.

I found an interesting article which I have posted below the source.
http://tesl-ej.org/ej39/a2.pdf
1
0

CreativeRachna
CreativeRac... , Child Professional, Teacher writes:
Education is different in different parts of the world.  The east typically focuses on math and science.  Teachers believe in rote memorization.  Students are encouraged to memorize most material and assessed with large exams at the end of the term.  The western education model focuses on reading, writing and understanding concepts rather than memorization.  Students are assessed through multiple methods such as class participation, essays, and tests.  Both methods have advantages.  The eastern method creates students whose math and science background are advanced due to memorization of early math facts.  The western model is also advantageous because students learn a variety of ways to express themselves, take tests and advanced writing skills.  

An article to read on this topic:
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_American_Culture/

1
0
slote
slote writes:
Asia learning style has uniform and doesn't have food for students, but Westurn learning style is

0
0
jocuri
jocuri , Student writes:
I think that it all depends on the on how the teaching is done. Both styles teach the same thing but with different techniques. The western style focuses on more practical methods while the East concentrates on the theoretical part.

0
0