rkaiulani
rkaiulani asks:
Q:

What differences have you experienced between the way boys and girls learn?

Some people seem to have a lot of ideas about the differences between the way girls and boys learn and think. Others want to tiptoe around it for fear of sounding sexist or not PC (see: former Harvard president resigning over comments that women aren't as good at engineering). But I know that there is some scientific evidence that most boys and girl DO learn things in distinct ways.
So, are boys better at math? Are girls better readers? What have other people experienced?
In Topics: Learning styles and differences

|
kellysfinn
kellysfinn , Parent writes:
Hi Rose,

I was so angry about that comment too!  I agree, there are likely many differences in male and femals brains and how we all learn, but I think that the greatest variation is among individuals, rather than between males and females.  

In my experience, I always loved math and science in school and so did my sister.  We were encouraged by our families and teachers and I think even if there are "proven" differences, all students should be encouraged to excel in all subjects!

Kelly  

1
0
JSorrentino
JSorrentino writes:
There's an author out there specifically talking about the differences between the way the brains of boys and girls work. His name is Leonard Sax and the book is "Boys Adrift." Michael Gurian is another author who has a lot to say on this.

2
0