rkaiulani
rkaiulani asks:
Q:

Dinos and Dragons and Dumptrucks, oh my!

What it your child's favorite "topic" - is it trucks, horses, medieval adventures, or dinosaurs in all their glory? How much does gender have to do with these preferences, and how are people trying to expand their children's interests in reading and picture books?
In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|

Redwood_City_Mom
Redwood_Cit... writes:
Hi rkaiulani,

This question made me laugh!  I'm the mom of two little boys.  I SWORE when they were born that I was not going to push them into stereotypical "boy things".  But, I soon learned that a lot of those things come hard wired!  

My kids were both obsessed with trucks as toddlers and would sit for hours watching road work crews if they had the chance (something I promise you I did NOT encourage!).  The also knew how to make shooting sounds and manipulate their fingers into the shape of a pistol (again, with no encouragment from me!).  They love to wrestle, but know they have to wait for daddy to get home for that.  They love castles, emergency vehicles, planes, rocket ships, etc. etc. etc.

On the flip side, I bought them each "baby dolls" which they showed little to no interest in.  

My youngest son does like to read "princess stories" but that's about as far as his girl interests take him.  

Can't wait to read what other's write!

0
0