Tra'c
Tra'c asks:
Q:

If I disagree with my son being retained DONT they have to pass him?

My son took the CRCT test and failed Math and Reading the first time by one question. He retook both test and failed again but this time math by two questions and reading by three. They did not offer summer school due to budget. My son grades was A's, B's, and C's on his report card but yet they retained him because of his test scores even after I disagreed. Is there something else I can do to have my son promoted. I live in Georgia and he is a Fulton County Schools Student.
In Topics: School and Academics, Tests (preparing, taking, anxiety!)

|
SSSlk
SSSlk writes:
Look in Georgia's law codes under education. In AZ where I teach, determination of promotion or retention is based on teacher decision. There are petitioning procedures a student/parent can take if they feel retention shouldn't happen.

Look into what is in the law codes for your state, you may have a procedure to follow to protest the ruling.

I sent a link to AZ statute. See paragraph 11

0
0
Houli
Houli writes:
In many states, such as Georgia, there is a strong emphasis on student accountability through test scores. In these states, students must score at a certain level to move onto the next grade. Most of these states offer summer school and then retest students after the specific focus on academic areas where the student needs to improve.

I suspect in this case, even though I am not sure, that state law is the reason your child was retained. If you are in need of further information, talk with your school's counselor or principal for a clear explanation.

0
0