jenjen28
jenjen28 asks:
Q:

Should I discipline my 7 year old for getting a C on his report card for the first time?

He is in tutoring 1/week for Handwriting and his C is in Language Arts. He reads on a 3rd grade level though.

|

I assume that by saying "discipline him", you mean punishment.  Have you talked to you child to find out what he thinks about why he got a C?  Have you talked to the teachers to find out what they think is going on in relation to you son's academic performance?  Instead of punishing, try to determine the reason for this. Sounds that he is a bright boy. Could he possibly be bored in his class or maybe he needs a different teaching approach?  Talk to you son first, then get an insight from the Language Art teacher.  That will help you decide what to do next.  Don't punish your son for a not so great grade.  Express you disappointment, and both of you should work on a solution.  Make the negative experience into something positive that the both of you can use for personal growth.

Bets regards.  
0
0

kinderfam
kinderfam writes:
No.  My child has a learning disbility, and if he gets a C in language arts we are thankful.  We know that a C is good for him.  He gets A's in math. If he gets anything lower than an A in math he isnt rewarded(new video game or extend playing time).  We dont punish for C's in our house.  D's and F's we would take away video games and playing time.  He also gets tutoring for his problem subjects and as long as he makes an effort and we are proud.  There is no shame in a C if they worked hard and tried the best they could.

0
1
vickibyrd
vickibyrd writes:
It depends on your definition of discipline. Before you "discipline" please find out from the teacher exactly where the problem is. It may be that he is not finishing his work (frustrated), not turning it in (forgetful), not making the grade on the test (study habit). All of these have workable solutions.
By all means encourge him to succeed and be sure to tell him of the consequences ahead of time if he does not. Good luck.

0
1
jenjen28
jenjen28 writes:
Thank you for your answers! I've decided not to discipline but put him on a reward system for good grades. I met with his teacher today and it is because he is rushing and trying to finish first. From now on he has to be the last to turn in his assignments and tests so that he double checks his work. Fingers crossed this works!!

0
1
amcart
amcart writes:
I think that depends on WHY he got the C.  You may have to talk to his teacher to find out.  Is he struggling with comprehension or study skills?  Or is he simply not turning in completed assignments?  If he's struggling with something, it's help and guidance he needs, not discipline.  If it's laziness or being too busy with "fun things" to do homework, then an appropriate response would be to cut out those "fun things" for a while, until the grade improves.  (I'm a former 1st grade teacher and current homeschool mom, so I've seen both sides of the issue.)

0
2
otisscorky
otisscorky , Parent writes:
No, it will only make him start to hate school. or at least that subject. Talk to the teacher and see if she can find out where he might have gotten lost.

He is only 7 and language arts it seems is harder for boys.  Try to praise all the good work he has done, do not dwell on the c.  He is 7 and at this time in his life it is not that important

0
1
jenifer_jayde
jenifer_jayde writes:
Don't dicipline your son just because of a C. He could get something much WORSE. Just print worksheets like during the summer so he can practice Language Arts and Handwriting. When I was young, i used to have HORRIBLE HANDWRITING!!! My dad made me write a LOT OF STUFF for TWO WHOLE SCHOOL YEARS!!! But that lesson taught me a LOT!!! So maybe you can just make him write until it gets better! xoxo Jenifer

1
0