dtacchia
dtacchia asks:
Q:

how can I discourage my six year old friendship with a "trouble maker"?

In Topics: Friendships and peer relationships

|

Hand in Hand

Hi Dtacchia,

Here's another article to add to your list. It's about helping kids with other children who are "mean" or may tend to bully. I hope it gives you some ideas that are helpful.

Juli Idleman
Hand in Hand Parenting
www.handinhandparenting.org
0
0

rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:

This is an interesting question and one that you will face for many years to come! Here are a few articles and resources that I think you may find helpful:

1
0
AnnieFox
AnnieFox , Child Professional writes:
You don't say exactly why you've such a strong negative feeling about this "friend" so it's impossible for me to say whether you've got a reasonable "case" to make in your objections. Sometimes spirited kids get labeled "trouble maker." So do highly intelligent kids who are bored in class. So do kids with atypical sensory processing issues. None of these kids may, in fact, intentionally be making "trouble" for anyone. that said, it's important to know why you believe your child would be negatively impacted through time spent with this other child. You have your reasons, communicate them simply and honestly but I would advise you not to demonize or gossip about the other child (Because your child WILL repeat whatever you say and that could be very embarrassing!)

At this age you have tremendous influence over who your child spends time with outside of school. And it's important for you to use that influence to help your child develop healthy standards for what makes a good friend.   And to remind your child that friendship is a two-way street... we want our kids to choose friends who have good character. We also want our kids to BE a friend of good character.

1
0
hummingbird26
hummingbird26 writes:
You can't but as long as she knows that you don't want her to. Once she doesn't get a reaction about it it won't be as fun to her and she will come to see that maybe she is not a nice friend and find a new one as a kid if your parents tell you no or you can't do something the more fun it becomes take the fun out of it.

0
0