jmarks
jmarks asks:
Q:

What to do about a sometimes very disrespectful 11yr daughter?

what to do about 11yr old daughter who is defiant/backtalks/and even at times hits her mom while having one of these fits because she doesn't want to do whatever. she is almost always great in public and in school (A-B student). this has happened since 1st, 2D grade. any advice?
In Topics: Teen issues, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Being an adolescent who is trying who she is and where she is going in life is tough, but it is not an excuse to disrespect parents or other people.  Defiance, hitting, talking that's been going on for a while might need a help of a counselor.  Please call your child's health care provider for a recommendation.

0
0

I'm including below links to some Education.com info centers that offer discipline strategies you might explore with your daughter. I hope this helps. Thanks for asking!

0
0
BigSis
BigSis writes:
My 11 year old sister started backtalking, being defiant and giving attitude towards my parents and myself. The only way that she stops is when we make sure to let her know, right when it happens, that we will not tolerate that type of behavior. We let her know how it makes us feel by using specifics (ie "i really don't want to be around you when you roll your eyes when I'm talking..."etc) Making sure that the action is acknowledge and taken care of, the moment that it occurs, will hopefully help deter this kind of behavior.

On the other hand, a family friend of ours is having difficulty with her daughter. She tells her mom, "eww you're not wearing that out are you? ...so embarassing." My mom and I have talked about her friends situation and believe that the mom was trying too hard to be her daughter's friend rather than be her parent. It's important for a child to respect her parents and not think that they can bully them.

0
0