Vivian:)
Vivian:) , Student asks:
Q:

I don't know what to do. Do I still have a choice if I could live with my mom or my dad?

im 14 gona be 15 in april and i love my parents but there seperated and i live with my mom and she doesnt let me see my dad allot and i wanted to know if i still have the choise if i could live with my dad.
In Topics: Teen issues, Children and stress, Single parent families

|

Much of this depends on if your parents are separated or if they are actually divorced.  If they are separated and the courts are not involved, your parents are the ones who should decide where you live.  

Parents who are legally divorced can sometimes come to an agreement on their own as to who their child will live with, but other times there are custody battles and the courts have to determine who should have custody of the child.  Judges consider what the parents and the child wants.  There are situations where the child’s preferences are granted, but not until all facts are presented to the court about the parents and their ability to parent the child.

Although we are not able to give legal advice, we can talk to you about what  you are going through and help you get through this difficult time.  Please give us a call or e-mail us, we are here 24/7.  Also check out our website for teens:  www.yourlifeyourvoice.org

Take care and best wishes to you!
1-800-448-3000

1
0
Anonymous