jholls
jholls asks:
Q:

Can anyone drive my child on a school sponsored trip?

My daughter recently left Illinois on a band trip to Disney in Florida. We received a call from her as they were entering Florida and found out that there were not enough seats on the charter bus they hired so they rented a passenger van to handle the overflow without parent knowledge. While speaking to my daughter we discovered she and several other students were riding in the van being driven by a parent not the charter bus. She also told us that the students were told by the band director that they had to take turns riding in the van. Is this legal? We gave no permission for her to ride in any vehicle other than the charter. What legal action can I take?
Member Added on Dec 31, 2012
We spoke with the schools superintendent and told him what we knew. He then told us that he told the head band director that no kids were allowed to ride in the van...they must ride the charter bus. I later found out the the head director did not go on the trip...just the assistant director but he supposedly told the asst dir what the superintendent told him. None the less the superintendent is very angry upon hearing all of this and even a member of the school board has been contacted. This is not the first questionable act by this band director. Even though he is tenured can he be fired over this? The teachers at this school do not belong to a union.
In Topics: Outside the classroom

|