belleoftoronto
belleoftoro... asks:
Q:

should i see if i have dysgraphia

i am 14 in grade 9 in public school i always had trouble spelling and putting my thoughts down on paper i am very gifted in reading and i am reading at a grade 12 level but i cant even write at a grade 9 level i have really messy handwriting and i hold my pencil really awkwardly i also have no sense of grammar and the only reason this is legible is because i have spell check this is really bringing my grades down but i don't want an iep (individual education plan) or to be treated differently but if i continue like this i will fail something eventually
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning disabilities

|

You are a very insightful 14 year old as you are asking questions that some adults wouldn't ask. I can tell that you feel badly that you are not writing the way you wish you could.  But, keep in mind that many intelligent people don't have the best handwriting or need a little visual organization to help them plan out their thoughts.

Perhaps  start by talking to your parents or teachers and ask for recommendations for who could help you with learning strategies, such as the School Psychologist.

You may wish to consider the use of visual organizers for writing. Here is a sample of a link for graphic organizers: http://www.educationoasis.com/curriculum/graphic_organizers.htm
You also can find some on this site: http://www.education.com/study-help/article/brainstorming-graphic-organizers/

And, ask your teachers if you can type your information if you feel that your handwriting is not legible.  Also, certain pens are easier to grip and give more hand stability.

Also just for your information, even though an IEP sounds scary, in reality any time a person receives special services in a public school, such as help for a learning disability, speech therapy or physical therapy, then formal documents need to issued, such as an IEP.  This does not mean that a person is not smart or talented, it simply is a way for regulation of services (to ensure that they are carried out with national standards). Here is a link for you to learn about IEPS and special services: http://www.nasponline.org

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

0
0

vineetgarg
vineetgarg writes:
Dysgraphia is a learning disability that affects writing, which requires a complex set of motor and information processing skills. Dysgraphia makes the act of writing difficult. It can lead to problems with spelling, poor handwriting, and putting thoughts on paper. People with dysgraphia can have trouble organizing letters, numbers, and words on a line or page . so u should not see........

0
0
vineetgarg
vineetgarg writes:

0
0
PatriceMinor
PatriceMinor writes:
First, what makes you believe that you have dysgraphia? Has someone suggested that or did you look it up?  I rarely hear of dysgraphia, so I was very surprised to hear you mention it.

It is a good idea to get tested to see what may causing the problems yo are encountering.  Keep in mind that whatever limitation you have it does not have to be viewed as a hopeless situation.  You will learn to compensate for any weakness you might have.  You may need a 504 Plan vs. an IEP.  Things are very different now in terms of feeling odd or receiving different treatment.  The school will work with you and help you to succeed despite your issues.

I worked for an attorney who has dysgraphia and he was an excellent attorney with a very cable assistant who rewrote all of his letters using his thoughts and ideas.  He was a great litigator.  No one needed to help him in the court room as he could hold his own.  

You will be fine, but you need to know.

0
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
You may want to talk with your school counselor about your concerns soon if you will need accommodations for the PSAT, SAT or the ACT.  The boards require very specific testing for modifications and these have to be in place at school.  
There is a good article about the different types of Dysgraphia at www.lynslines.wordpress.com

0
0
Angelanita
Angelanita , Student writes:
Hi, i am 14 too and have dyspraxia. My hand writing is ok but i can't remember the spelling ( my mom is writting this for me now) . I go to public school too. My reading is at grade 3 i guess. what are the excercises that you are doing to over come you inability? How do you manage to remember the time tables?

0
0