WantToTake
WantToTake asks:
Q:

Do I have dyslexia?

I am not good at spelling, don't know my 3 4 6 7 8 multiplication tables, can't explain things normally; though I am great at fiction writing. I noticed in 6th grade that I skip lines when I read sometimes, not as often now, I am in 7th. I also have trouble reading out loud because I can't understand what I am reading then. I do not know what I have but I think it's something. I am scared to tell my parents. What do I do?
In Topics: Dyslexia

|

Please note that you can ask your teachers or school counselor to guide you with these questions.  There are school resources to help evaluate your learning styles and help present material in a way that could be easier to understand.

Good luck and note you are not alone. Also, consider talking to your parents... I am sure they want what is best for you and to succeed in school.

Louise Sattler, NCSP

0
0

LDSolutions
LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
Dyslexia is estimated to affect some 20-30 percent of our population. This means that more than 2 million school-age children in the United States are dyslexic!

Dyslexia is characterized by difficulties with accurate and fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities. Dyslexia varies in degrees of severity and is highly hereditary. It is not uncommon for a child with dyslexia to have an immediate family member who also has this condition. Also, it is not unusual for two or more children in a family to have dyslexia.

Although children with dyslexia typically have average to above average intelligence, their dyslexia creates problems not only with reading, writing and spelling but also with speaking, thinking and listening. Many times these academic problems can lead to emotional and self-esteem issues throughout their lives. Low self-esteem can lead to poor grades and under achievement. Dyslexic students are often considered lazy, rebellious or unmotivated. These misconceptions cause rejection, isolation, feelings of inferiority, and discouragement.

The central difficulty for dyslexic students is poor phonemic awareness. Phonemic awareness is the ability to appreciate that spoken language is made up of sound segments (phonemes). In other words, a dyslexic student’s brain has trouble breaking a word down into its individual sounds and manipulating these sounds. For example, in a word with three sounds, a dyslexic might only perceive one or two.

Most researchers and teachers agree that developing phonemic awareness is the first step in learning to read. It cannot be skipped. When children begin to learn to read, they first must come to recognize that the word on the page has the same sound structure as the spoken word it represents. However, because dyslexics have difficulty recognizing the internal sound structure of the spoken word to begin with, it is very difficult for them to convert the letters of the alphabet into a phonetic code (decoding).

Although dyslexia can impair spelling and decoding abilities, it also seems to be associated with many strengths and talents. People with dyslexia often have significant strengths in areas controlled by the right side of the brain. These include artistic, athletic and mechanical gifts. Individuals with dyslexia tend to be very bright and creative thinkers. They have a knack for thinking, “outside-the-box.” Many dyslexics have strong 3-D visualization ability, musical talent, creative problem solving skills and intuitive people skills. Many are gifted in math, science, fine arts, journalism, and other creative fields.
Dyslexia is a persistent learning difference that one does not outgrow. With early detection, proper intervention, and certain accommodations, dyslexics can improve their reading and spelling skills significantly and succeed academically.

If you want to look at some warning signs and symptoms click on the link below - if you feel you might exhibit at least 3 or these warning signs it would probably make sense to get tested.  

Good Luck to you!

0
0
LaraEnglish
LaraEnglish writes:
It's like a free Kindle..except better
Well, I am all about free..for the user..
A nonprofit we have developed an entire new look to reading...
Many dyslexic subscribers on the channel...
As one of my subscribers said...Reading English really can be a "world of utmost joy without suffering"

We have over 1000 videos..songs, American History, Geography, daily news

We highlight the individual words as they are spoken in BIG LETTERS..
www.youtube.com/listenandreadalong

0
0