BrendensConcernedMom
BrendensCon... asks:
Q:

Early entrance to kindergarten

I live in Indiana and I have a son that will turn 5 on August 28th, the kindergarten cut off age is 5 by the 1st of August. I took him to get tested and he scored a little below average on the pre kids screening which included motor skills and letter recognition among other things which he did great on only having a problem with letter recognition. He scored way above average on the PVT (picture vocabulary test) scoring at an 11 year old level. I really believe he should start school this year but the school said because he was below average on the pre kids screening he has to wait until next year. Is there anything I can do to get him into school this school year? I fear that if he waits another year he will be bored and not challenged enough to keep him interested in school. Please help!
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|
PaulaBeckerman
PaulaBecker... writes:
I searched the Indiana department of education, and found this link about appealing the school's decision about whether your child can start school early, if that is the route you want to go.  However, given your son's scores, it might be worth reconsidering trying to push him ahead.  

I'm a preschool educator, and previously taught 1st grade, in addition to being a mom of 2 sons, one of whom did skip ahead a grade.  In my experience, being one of the older students in a grade level is most often beneficial to young children, so much so that a fair number of parents will keep their child in preschool or kindergartenpurposefully, to give them that advantage.  Children who are the oldest in their group usually perform better than their peers on school related tasks, have better developed fine motor skills, and have much better social skills - which translates into making friends and being a leader in their peer group.  Right now it may look like he is missing out on something if he doesn't enter school this year, but a few years from now that all changes: in junior high the youngest in the grade level are physically very different than the oldest, who have an advantage in sports.  In high school your son will either be one of the first in his grade level to drive, or one of the last - and want to ride with other kids driving.  Think also of the dating scene, high school jobs, etc., and how his age compared to his peers will affect those things.

If you decide to accept the school's decision, or if you appeal and lose, take advantage of this year to boost your son's academic and social skills.  Enroll him in a good preschool, read with him every day, and enjoy this year.  It is still possible that a year from now he'll test out of kindergarten, and go straight into first grade.  

1
0
heathm
heathm writes:
My son turned 5 last July,He was in Kindergarten around 2m,teacher said he was having a hard time setting and listening,so we just took him out till this year ,he is doing so good, knows all his abc ,and is somewhat a head of the other kids,we taught him at home ,and he wants to learn,he set for about 3 hrs and wanted to do work,we printed work sheets off of here and bought some k books at the store ,I am glad we held him back,He is not frustrated,like he was last year,it was a night mare so much easier this year.

1
0