Q:

Looking for easy baking recipes for children.

"I enjoy baking with children although I hate to cook at home. Can you send me some easy recipes for children?
Thanks."

Asked by Mary after reviewing the activity, "Bake Some Words!":

http://www.education.com/activity/article/bakew...
In Topics: Outside the classroom, Nutrition, Family fun / holiday celebrations

|

Candace_Lindemann

Cooking with kids is a wonderful activity!  There's mathematics, following directions, science, cultural traditions, tactile and other sensory stimulation, and so much more!  Plus the results are delicious.

Make sure to take proper precautions when cooking with little ones, be prepared for some mess, and then dig in!

Some of the best recipes for kids involve hands on mixing and kneading or decorating.  Others are centered around holiday and seasonal themes.

Check out the fun resources I've linked below, especially those from Teaching Tiny Tots--you will never run out of great ideas!  Martha Stewart even has a "Cooking with Kids" segment.  And do not forget to let us know how it went!

---
Candace Lindemann, Ed.M. - JustAsk Expert
Educational Consultant and Writer
http://CandaceLindemann.com
4
0

lravidlearner
lravidlearner , Teacher, Parent writes:
I love cooking with my kids!  FoodTV has some great recipes that are kid-friendly, as well as tips for cooking with children.  There are even some helpful videos:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/cooking-for-kids/package/index.html

For a slightly different approach, The Science of Cooking on the Exploratorium website has recipes and activities that also include the science behind them:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/index.html

4
0
My favorite thing to bake with my mom when I was a kid is actually a 'no-bake' recipe. "Mom's No Bake Cookies".

http://www.bigoven.com/160690-Mom%27s-No-Bake-Cookies-recipe.html

As a kid, the hardest part was waiting for them to harden, but the wait was always well worth it. I love these cookies to this day, and am now 'baking' them with my daughter who also loves them.

May your children appreciate them too.

1
0
New'New
New'New , Student writes:
Yeah I've heard of those No Bake cookies My friends mom made some they are deliosious great! Choice

1
0
chemteacher
chemteacher writes:
I have come across some easy, and harder to grow with your child) recipes on 2 great foodie websites (below). One of the websites (Picture Me Cooking) has a place for you to submit your child's creation as part of the Jr Chef Spotlight. I think they give out prizes quarterly to a chosen winner from the entries.

1
0
sarahsenior
sarahsenior writes:
I have used edible Peanut butter play dough in my own home and had played with it in day care years ago. It is easy to make, and you have hours of fun afterward. Not only is it fun, it tastes good too! here is a link for this, plus other kinds of edible playdough. Enjoy!

0
0
You have so many great answers to this question!  I'd like to share a few of really easy, no bake ideas that I've done with my kids.

The first is Lady bug Cookies- you will need vanilla wafers, white icing, red food coloring, chocolate chip morsels and Reese's mini peanut butter cups.  Place some of the white icing in a bowl and a few drops of the red food coloring until you have the color you would like.  Allow your kids to ice the vanilla wafers and then place chocolate chips over where they'd like, use the mini reese's cup as the lady bugs head.  They were easy, fun to make, really cute and yummy!

Fudge Ice Cream Cake:  You will need,12 vanilla ice cream sandwiches (like Pet), whipped topping (cool-whip), hot fudge ice cream topping, 1 package of Jello-chocolate instant pudding mix (4-serving size), about 8 Oreo cookies, and Aluminum foil.

Heat your fudge ice cream topping in microwave safe bowl, and 1 cup of the cool whip, stir with wire whisk until well blended.  Add dry pudding mix, stir about 2 minutes and well blended.  Chop the oreo cookies and gently stir in your mixture.  Set aside.

Arrange 4 of the ice cream sandwiches, side by side on foil, then top with the chocolate mixture, repeat until you have 3 layers.  Frost the top and sides with the remaining cool whip, bring up the sides of your foil, leave loose not to touch the sides and double foil top to seal packet.  Place in freezer for at least 4 hours and you will have your very own ice cream cake that your kids made.  Yummy!  

ICE CREAM SNOWMAN:  You will need, ice cream, assorted edible decorations, we used graham crackers, sugar sprinkles, pretzel sticks, chocolate chips, cheerios , just whatever you would like.  Place 3 scoops of ice cream in a row on each child's plate.  Have all your edible decorations available for them to use their imagination and create their snowman and then eat him up.

I hope you enjoy these simple, hands-on recipes.  I like these because it doesn't involve anything dangerous, no knives, no heating, just fun, edible desserts.

2
0
Anonymous