Q:

Is there an easy way for our family to compost?

"I looked up composting on the Internet and am overwhelmed. I want to know if I can compost on one of those Rubbermaid storage bins and if so how? Will animals get into the piles? The bins cost so much! Help!"

Asked by Corkie via email.  
In Topics: Nature and outdoors, Green living

|
SharaPCS
SharaPCS , Parent writes:
We live in a small town (in a log cabin) and we have a large back yard. We've been wanting to compost and grow our own garden for ages, however, the wild animals were eating everything we put out. I recently blogged for Triscuit and their Home Farming idea (that post is below). I learned a lot and found another site called The Dinner Garden. At The Dinner Garden they explained composting for "regular folks" like us :-)

We ran out to Walmart and purchased a large Rubbermaid Bin with a lid (the animals can't get the lid off if you place something heavy on top!). We drilled 6 holes in the side for airing. The Bin cost us $10.

We save our leftovers inside in a bowl (see link below) and then carry them out to the bin. We layer the food with leaves. When the bin is fuller, we'll empty into the garden area!

We also plan to put chicken wire around our garden (or fencing) so the animals cannot get in...

3
0
Dr.Monika , Child Professional writes:
Please read these entries from our Go Green! blog to find helpful tips on how to start a compost pile:

Reduce yard waste: Make a compost pile!

http://www.pluggedinparents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=291&Itemid=163

Kitchen compost crock

http://www.pluggedinparents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=468&Itemid=0

2
0
chemteacher
chemteacher writes:
I saw a great post on composting aimed at kids on a cooking website (below). I started one in my yard: we'll see what we get in the spring!

1
0