Anonymous
Q:

Is "I'm a be" an ebonics phrase, modern slang or creative license?

"I'm a be" is the title and main lyric of a really popular recent song by The Black Eyed Peas (hip hop/pop band). I'm wondering if this is an ebonics phrase, modern slang, or just simply made-up by Wil.i.am (or one of his bandmates)?

When it comes on the radio, I explain to my child that the phrase isn't correct English, and that she should say, "I'm going to be" instead. Curious by nature, I wonder where it came from, and am hoping teachers aren't having to waste precious learning time correcting this idiom in their classrooms.
In Topics: School and Academics, Parenting / Our Family, Creative arts

|
fritzr
fritzr writes:
"I'm a be" is indeed modern slang, not creative license.  It is a common phrase in ebonics that is simply a shortened form of "I'm going to be."

1
0
MillsMomma0708
MillsMomma0... , Parent writes:
It is an ebonics phrase that is the condensced form of "I'm going to be". As to the issue of teachers having to correct it, that is what the learning process is. Attempting and correcting. No one is born with the knowledge of speaking perfectly. Even the English we speak is not correct English, it is the Americanized version of English. I myself, when speaking amongst friends and family, use ebonics and slang regularly. Even when I post blogs or write journal entries, my language choice is not "correct English". However, through school lessons, I know how to speak professionally when the need arises.

1
0
Anonymous