mom-mom
mom-mom asks:
Q:

What's the most effective discipline for a two year old who won't listen?

My daughter turned two at the end of August.  I know her hearing is fine, so I don't know what to do when she seems to be completely ignoring my directions, as if she did not even hear me.  I do not like to shout, but it's the only way I can hope to get her attention sometimes.  For example, when I need her to come to me and call to her, she just stands there and looks at me or runs away.  I am not sure how to change this behavior.  Is discipline effective at this early age, and what kind is most effective and appropriate?
In Topics: Hearing loss and hearing disorders, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Dear Mom-Mom:

You have a reasonable concern about your daughter's hearing.  First, check with your pediatrician to be sure her hearing was tested normal outside the home.  Second, be sure that she does not have an inflammation or infection of the ears which could blunt hearing.  Finally, is her development up to par for the rest of her behavior or has learning been difficult?  Discipline works at this age; however, I would most likely re-direct her vision to you when you are trying to make a point.
You are right to be concerned and as her mom are in a position to effect a good outcome.

0
0

nannyof3
nannyof3 writes:
Discipline is totally appropriate. Discipline is not punishment, it is teaching. When you teach proper behavior, as when you teach anything, you have to show cause and effect. She's two, she doesn't know that when mommy calls its appropriate to answer or acknowledge mommy. You have to learn things like that, you have to learn everything. She does what she feels like which is whatever she was doing before mommy called or maybe running away cuz she doesn't want to humor mommy right then.. Read this article i've linked to below and it will explain the development stages and what to focus on at each stage.

2
0
oldfolder
oldfolder writes:
My granddaughter did this, she would not answer when I called her nor would she come to me. So when I called her I tried to associate it with something she likes.Snack time, lunch, however, when it was time for that diaper duty she balked , that's when I would go get her and as I carried her to the dressing table I would make fun of the dirty diaper..it took a while but she answers me when I call her now and comes when I say time to change that diaper..although in the past couple of months she comes to me and tells me she needs changing.

0
0
Anonymous