KatKatKat
KatKatKat asks:
Q:

How do I effectively curb my four year olds aggressive and bullying behavior? I am not sure if it is for attention or what because he laughs afterward

|

Thank you for contacting Education.com!

If a child receives more attention when he does something bad, than when he does something good, the normal reaction for him would be to continue to misbehave to get more attention. If this is the case, try to lessen the emotional responses you give him after he does something wrong, and instead give him a logical consequence for his behavior without putting your emotion into it. For example, rather than yelling at him (negative attention) give him a time out or turn off the TV set, while staying calm and matter-of-fact about it.

Children generally discover that their actions affect others early on, but some children, especially those who are on the Autism spectrum, have difficulty picking up on social cues such as body language and facial expressions. Parents can help teach their children to have empathy for others by the way they treat others. It has been said that children may not seem like they are always listening to their parents, but they can rest assured that their children are always watching them!

Boys Town Press has several books and resources to help parents with the issues of bullying and social skills. Our website can also give you more information and parenting tips. You can also call or e-mail anytime and speak with one of our counselors. We are available 24 hours, 7 days a week for parents and children of all ages.

Thanks again for reaching out. Take care and best wishes to you and your son!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org
0
0

rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:

It's fairly normal for preschoolers to experiment with aggressive behavior towards others to get what they want, but it can cross the line very quickly. Here are some helpful articles on the topic and how parents can help. Good luck and I hope this helps!

0
0
EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
Talk is cheap and it does not solve problems. Start a campaign where it is not cool to be cruel. Make it easy for kids to reach out and find that safe space every child is entitled to have. You are responsible for your child's well being!
The most dangerous bullies are those who have been bullied themselves. For every child that chooses to take his or her life to stop the torment, there are that many more stuffing their pain and then striking back. The violence of the vengeful is where the real danger lies.
Now, I will be the first to admit. It is much tougher to be a parent today than it had been years ago when my sons were in their formative years. Back then, parents had more influence and control as there was not all the competition for control that the internet has introduced.
am focusing all my energies to making a difference by stopping this cycle of violence with my Be a Buddy ….Not a Bully Campaign. Please join me.

Visit www.stopbullyingwithedie.com

0
0