mommyof1_07
mommyof1_07 asks:
Q:

What are the effects of the H1N1 vaccination?

My daughter will be 2 next month and she currently attends a school program at a elementary school.So shes in contact with kids and teachers and different people on a daily basis.So my question is what are the effects of the H1N1 vaccination,and is it worth me getting my daughter vaccinated?
In Topics: H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu), Physical Health

|

Peter_Wenger

The vaccine for the novel influenza A H1N1 virus is currently being evaluated for efficacy and safety.  The preliminary results suggest the vaccine does produce a robust immune response and that it is safe with minimal side effects if any.  The side effects noted are similar to those caused by the annual seasonal influenza vaccine and transient.  They include some discomfort at the site of vaccine, headache, and myalgia.  To date, these results have been found in healthy adult volunteers and we are currently awaiting for the reports on children, however I expect them to be similar.  At this time it appears the greatest risk of H1N1 infection is in young people so I think it would be prudent to have your two-year old vaccinated once the novel H1N1 influenza vaccine is available.  I would also encourage you to vaccinate your child versus seasonal influenza.  The seasonal influenza vaccine is currently available.

3
2