ralphgombos
ralphgombos asks:
Q:

What are the effects of starting nursery school earlier versus later?

Does anyone know of studies looking into the effects of a child attending nursery school at age 2 in their later life? We have a one year old, and are considering putting him in nursery school, but a family member keeps warning us that being away from home and parents at any age earlier than 3 or 4 will cause our child to not develop a strong bond with home, and will hurt his adjustment later on in life. Everyone we know is putting their children in nursery school at 18 or 24 months, and want our child to have every opportunity to interact with other children.
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|

The ADOS is one of the most commonly administered instruments to assess Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders (including Aspergers, PDD-NOS). I am not as familiar with the ADI-R, but it looks to be a well standardized assessment.

As for securing a more thorough assessment, you are eligible for many services through your school district (even if your child is a preschooler), including an assessment fro FREE. Depending upon where you are in the process, you should approach your pediatrician or school special education coordinator. When dealing with school personnel in regards to special education, the key is to use the appropriate language and make your requests in writing. This article provides some useful information on the topic:

http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_ABCs_Advocacy/

Good luck and keep us posted.

Counseling Psychologist
Education.com Reference Team

0
0

Heart2Heart1
Heart2Heart1 writes:
Dear Concerned, I think you should listen to your child's Pedatrician or the psycologist and take him to see a Specalist who treats patients with Asperger's Syndrome. That is what my parents did when I was an infant and they saw that I wasn't acheiving signifigant developmental milestones. You also need to watch him when he is at home and look for the signs and symptoms to make sure that his teachers know what they are talking about.

0
0
mandalieu
mandalieu writes:
What do you know about this ADI-R and ADOS.  My son I think, has aspergers and I am fighting tooth and nail to get someone to listen to me and evaluate him.  The school wants me to medicate him; and I'm convinced its aspergers and not adhd.  Any thoughts?

0
0
lotus1
lotus1 writes:
In my view a child should be put into nursery class is three around..The child should have been got toilet training and its proper age as I know..

0
0
Jeena
Jeena writes:
I think 3 is the right age because she'll be able to cope up with school and become mere confident before thatthe child is too early to cope withschool.And  she is scared of school and lose confidence  which is bad in the long run.

0
0