parrishnlc
parrishnlc asks:
Q:

How can I encourage my 2/12 year old to listen?

my 2 1/2 year old willl not mind me at all i try the time out thing i try geting her active in somthing else... im just running out of ideas.. i am pregant with my second child and i am really scard that i will lose my mind when i have him....
In Topics: Preparing my child for preschool, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

I'm sure you must be very frustrated with your child's lack of listening skills.  Have confidence that you will get through this trying time AND you will NOT lose your mind.  Your child may just be acting their age and although it is very exhasperating they will get through this phase.  Remember to use positive reinforcing words when your child does what you want them to.  Also, remember to use things that are important to them when you are giving consequences.  

What are you doing to take care of yourself? It sounds like you are very stressed.  Do you have some time each day to yourself?  If not, who can help you care for you 2 1/2 yr. old so that you can focus on yourself for even a short time.  Are you a part of any church groups or mother's groups?  Many cities have a group called MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers).  They can often be a great support for parenting issues.  You might try looking them up on the internet for further information.

If you need to talk to someone, even to vent for a few minutes, please know that you can call us at the Boys Town National Hotline.  We're here 24/7 and it's free to call.  Our crisis counselors talk to women in your situation everyday, so remember that you aren't alone.  

1-800-448-3000

1
0

JeanneBrockmyer
JeanneBrock... writes:
You sound like the mother of a 2 1/2 year old!  I have been there too! First, take a look at your expectations of yourself and your daughter.  Two year olds are going to be messy and oppositional.  As a pregnant mom, you are likely to tire more easily and maybe be more easily frustrated.  Might be time to let go of some of your housekeeping standards, at least temporarily.  Mobilize your support system including dad, so you can have some regular me-time.  Remember that timeouts should be short, no more than 1 minute for every year of life.  Try to plan one pleasant activity each day for you and your daughter, like reading a favorite story or going to a park.  Best of all, remember that 2 year olds grow up.  Three year olds typically have much better ability to express their emotions in words and behavior improves substantially.  Hang in there!

Jeanne Funk, Ph. D.
education.com clinical child psychology expert

1
0
GrannyGeo
GrannyGeo writes:
Sometimes communicating with a two year old takes special skills.  Two year olds do not yet have enough vocabulary, understanding of how words work together, and their brains aren't ready to think verbaly.  So if they don't think in words, how do they think? Pictures? Feelings? Whatever form their thoughts take they are concrete.  They know a lot of words, and are aboe to "translate" most of what we say into their own way of understanding.  So, when you want to tell him something important: speak slowly, keep your sentences VERY short (3 -5 words), use 'concrete' words. Avoid words that can't be pictured, like 'don't' or not.  It could be that he really doesn't understand what you are saying - give it a try. :)

0
0