beamom
beamom asks:
Q:

How to get my VERY energetic 8 years old daughter to learn and remember spelling?

she learns and forgets immediately
In Topics: Helping my child with writing

|
read2me
read2me writes:
Repetition.  Build the skill into every activity and be very patient.  If she is that energetic, keep the amount you want to do in small segments.  If it is reading, practice reading everything that passes, street signs, grocery store signs...  If it is math, have her count and break groups into smaller groups.  If there are three chairs in the living room and you sit in one, how many chairs are empty.  If you have three people sitting down for lunch, how many forks, knives, spoons doe she need to put out.  How many total pieces of silverware will there  be. How many will she be using.  If it is writing, have her do the grocery list.  Spell the words so it isn't hard, but she is practicing.  Have her write things she wants and emphasize that if it is messy you won't be able to read it and then unable to remember what she wanted.  Have her write letters that result in a return letter from grandparents, cousins, aunts... anybody willing to participate and willing to send her stickers, dollars, flat fruit candies...in return.  With everything you do give her a meaningful purpose.

A great activity that requires patience, but pays big for supporting reading, math, and science is cooking.  Get out the Betty Crocker Cookbook and teach her to read, measure, and mix liquids and dry goods resulting in cookies, brownies, fudge, divinity.  Done consistently, she will learn a skill while learning how temperature and timing affect each recipe.

Hope that helps.  I have an energetic son who is now in college and is in the Marine Reserves.  He did so much better with anything broken into segments, visual, tactile, kinesthetic...and he loves to cook.

1
0
read2me
read2me writes:
I think yours is the one I responded to earlier.  I forgot spelling!  Again, repetition.  Flash cards, have her create jigsaw puzzles with short word lists, emphasizing where vowels connect.  Find a way to use the words practiced in sentences she writes in letters and on shopping lists.  Again, give each word meaning.  If you can focus on words that consistently have Latin roots and are similar, building on each other as well as the meaning the root gives the group of words.  Once you go onto another group of words, keep using the ones you practiced earlier in writing activities. Keep her words in a list she can refer to if she forgets.  Make it important to her to look it up if she can't remember.  If you encourage her and make her feel positive about the experience you will both benefit greatly.  Repetition...

2
0
RitzFamily
RitzFamily writes:
try jump rope or bouncing a ball with spelling/vocabulary lists

0
0
sonofmine2
sonofmine2 writes:
I was taught to break down the word into syllables and also doing this several times over saying the word seeing it broke down spelling it. Then trying it without looking.

0
0
josh808
josh808 writes:
To get my 10 year old son to remember his spelling words. Every word was a different color. i.e dog was blue, girl was red. I used the colors in any order.  Iam still using this for my son this year.

1
0