How do we evaluate our kids reading skills?

"What is this Accelerated Reading all about and who does the evaluation? Awaiting your reply. Thanks."

Asked by Vimi after reviewing the activity, "Read-cordings":
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Tests (preparing, taking, anxiety!)

hlevitan , Teacher writes:
Hello Vimi,

Thank you for writing to  It is great that you want to get your child’s reading skills evaluated. Your school district is required by law to provide an evaluation within 60 days from when the parents ask for it.  I suggest you contact the Reading Specialist at your school and your child’s classroom teacher to inquire about testing him or her.

You can encourage your young reader with trips to the library.  If you reader is not challenged with the books he/she reads in school, you can help your child choose more challenging book selections.  

Here are some resources you may find useful for encouraging your advanced reader:

How Can I Find Appropriate, Challenging Resources For a Child Who is Performing Far Above Grade-Level?

The Accelerated Reader Program

5 Ways to Support an Emerging Reader

I hope you find this helpful. Happy reading!

Best wishes,