seanjessesmom
seanjessesmom asks:
Q:

Are there any exceptions to the age requirement to enter kindergarten for the State of Florida?

My family currently resides in California. My husband is retiring from the U.S. Marine Corp and we are planning to relocate to Florida. My 4-year-old son has been enrolled in a state accredited Pre-K for 1 year. He will turn 5 on September 10. He has mastered all of the skills that the state requires. Are there any exceptions to the cut off date of September 1? My fear is that my son will become bored with the curriculum if he is required to repeat Pre-K.
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|

You may have found that same information, but when I investigated your question further on the Florida Department of Education website, my research revealed that "Florida Statutes or State Board of Education Rules do not include any provision to waive the age requirement for kindergarten enrollment."

That said, I believe that you should contact the Board of Education or the school district in which your son would enroll directly to discuss it further. It appears that children who were enrolled in an out-of-state kindergarten program, but who does NOT meet the age limits in Florida, can be enrolled. Therefore, I recommend that you learn all you can about Florida policies:

Florida Department of Education:

http://www.fldoe.org/department/contact.asp

You can search for the Florida school where your son would attend here:
http://www.education.com/schoolfinder/

Counseling Psychologist
Education.com Expert Panel

2
0

ThatsMrsHooah
ThatsMrsHooah writes:
I would pay very close attention to your sons social readiness as well. We had two boys who started K a little early as well. One is doing Wonderful, he is now in fifth grade, and the other who is in ninth grade, is struggling socially. It seems he started to slide back socially as he got older. The only difference I can perceive between the two is that the one who is fine is the extravert. So make sure and encourage your son to be social so that he will stay caught up with his peers!

0
0