jnais
jnais asks:
Q:

are there exceptions to the age requirement for kindergarten.

My son is a large 4 year old but he doesn't turn 5 until 9/9 and it seems silly to me for him to have to wait a whole year just because his birthday is 2 weeks from the beginning of the school year.
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|
Hi jnais,

I think each school district is different, but I haven't heard of a school system showing flexibility around the kindergarten cutoff date. I actually have a friend who's son missed the date by two days. She went as far as having him tested to show that he was more than ready to go to kindergarten but still the school district wouldn't budge. I can understand their point - if they let someone in who misses by 2 days, then why not two weeks or two months? But of course it's frustrating when you're the one who's child can't start kindergarten.

Typically private schools have different cutoff dates and allow younger kids so if that may be a possibility. But if you wanted him to go back to public school you probably couldn't do so for first grade (they'd make him do kindergarten again), you'd have to wait until 2nd grade.

But I wouldn't worry too much. There are lots of really great young five programs available that will keep your son academically challenged until he goes to kindergarten. And of course, there are lots of great advantages to being one of the oldest in the class. Many parents who have kids who are eligible actually elect to keep them out of kindergarten for an extra year.

2
0
Jennifer55
Jennifer55 writes:
wher i live, the cut off date is September 1st. Last year, my son missed it by 7 days. They are not flexable at all...So, my son is going to be 6 right after school starts, his b-day is 9/7, so I know how you feel.

2
0
Kyra2009
Kyra2009 writes:
You know what? I think its absolutely ridiculous. Children are not all the same and do not develop the same, so there should not be a cutoff date for all kids! I believe that if the parent feels their child is ready, there should be some kind of evaluation test they can give the child to see. My daughter wont be five until December 19 but she is very capable of starting kindergarten this fall. I think something should be done about this. They may change it if we stand together against this!

3
0
Tam_C
Tam_C writes:
I also think this rule is absolutley ridiculous.  My husband and I are living in Florida now with our 3 year old daughter.  Her birthday is Sept 15th and we are seriously considering moving back to NY (where we are originally from) just so she can start kindergarten at 4.  (New York's cut off date is December 1st, not to mention the education in NY is so much better than it is in Florida anyway).

1
0
GaleT
GaleT writes:
We have a g-grandson who is just a day or so too late to start Kindergarten. I had thought that testing would be allowed to let him start, provided he passes everything. I guess if they let one through, they also must allow others. Oh well, we can continue to teach him here at home as well as take advantage of local field trip areas...libraries, museums etc. He is a sponge right now and is sooo ready to learn. Amazing kiddos nowadays, what with computers and educational television! The socialization is what we really wanted him to experience. There again, perhaps we can meet up with other youngsters and their families who are in the same situation.

0
0