DebrinaD
DebrinaD asks:
Q:

What exercises or activities can I dp with my 2 1/2 year old son to improve his speech before he goes to school?

My son is 2 1/2 yrs old and he is having trouble talking. I can tell by the way he mispronounces words he has the same speech impediment I had as a child. Certain beginnings and endings of words are not pronounced at all and when speaking in full sentence, every other word is followed by a stutter. My speech did not improve until I was 12 yrs. old. Does anyone know any exercises or activities I can do with him to help him improve before he goes to school?
In Topics: Speech and language issues

|

Although your son's speech pattern appears to repeat family history, I would start by having a discussion with your pediatrician about it.  If his medical history is negative i.e. not a premie, no lead level, swallow is normal, and hearing is ok, then I would have a speech therapist evaluate your son.

The benefit to him and to you is a personalized plan with follow up to measure achievement.

In the meantime, learning to suck through a straw increases mouth tone and should help speech.

0
0