mikebdoc
mikebdoc asks:
Q:

Does anyone have experience with a baby losing weight?

We had her 15 month check up and she weighed 22.11 which was up less then 1.5 from her 1yr. So the Dr asked us to come back at 16 months. We did that today and now she lost .6lbs. We are concerned about her losing weight. She is very very active which the Dr.s said may be the reason. Does anyone have exeprience with this with their child?
In Topics: Physical development, Medical problems

|

mheyman

Your doctor maintains a growth chart that shows how your child is doing relative to other children at the same age.  Plotting the weight (and length) on a 'growth chart' helps to determine if the growth pattern is normal or not.  If not, then further evaluation and possibly a referral to a specialist (such as a pediatric gastroenterologist, endocrinologist, or other specialist) might be necessary.

0
0

Hi Mike, &nbsp;I remember getting concerned when my babies' growth slowed...they gain so much weight in the first year and then it seems to drop off. &nbsp;My kids' pediatrician reminded me that in most cases this is a good thing because if we all continued to gain weight the way we did in our first year we'd weigh 800 pounds! &nbsp;So part off it really is just getting used to the fact that her growth will, and should, slow in her second year of life (and beyond).<br />
<br />
That said, the most important thing is to stay in touch with your pediatrician about it. &nbsp;It sounds like s/he's not concerned at this point but I'd keep calling if you're at all worried about it. &nbsp;My peditrician allows us to come in for unlimited weight checks (there's no charge, I can usually get an appointment the same day, and we don't see a doctor so we're in and out of the office in about 10 minutes). &nbsp;Ask if your office has something similar just to help give you peace of mind.<br />
<br />
Good luck and let us know how she's doing!<br />
<br />
Kat<br />

0
0
fritzr
fritzr writes:
There is a normal range of fluctuations in terms of growth.  Sometimes it will be slow, sometimes fast.  My baby daughter also dropped in weight at one point from checkup to checkup.  I think first time parents (which it sounds like you are) will always over react at the slightest sign of trouble because they're just not familiar with the whole process.  That said,  you can always ask for a second opinion from another doctor if you are really concerned.  Doctors aren't infallible.

0
0
Anonymous