kat_eden , Parent asks:
Q:

Do you have experience with a combination K/1 class?

My son is entering kindergarten next fall and his school has two kindergarten / first grade combo classes. We just received a letter from the principal asking us to let her know if we're interested in having our son be in one of them.

If he went into the class it would mean that he would have the same teacher for two years in a row (kindergartners who start in the K/1 class stay for first grade).

I can see a lot of advantages to having our son in this environment, but I'd love to hear from any parents or teachers who have first hand experience to share.

Thanks!
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Choosing a school

|
CaliforniaMom

Best Answer!

Kat,

I do not have direct experience with k/1 class.  This is what I have heard from other mothers.  If your child is relatively good at working independently, a k/1 class is a great environment.  Your child will be able to work at his or her own pace.  Children that need extra attention or have some behavioral issues tend not to be placed in a k/1 class.  As a result, the environment tends to be harmonious.

0
0

easyhomeschoolonline
easyhomesch... writes:
For Kindergarten, my daughter was enrolled in a K/1 combo class.  She was placed at the first grade table even though she had never attended school before.  I thought that this was great (she would not have to waste her time with kindergarten lessons and she could still be in a class full of kids her own age).  

What I realized real fast was that my daughter was the exception.  Most of the kids at this "first grade" table were older children that had learning disorders, or were not social or behaviorally mature enough to move on to regular first grade.  So even though my daughter was in a room full of children her own age for recess/lunch/rug time etc. - she spent all of her learning time with children that had learning disorders or behavior problems.

We did some research and found that a lot of schools are starting combo classes so that when testing and school evaluations are done they can classify children so that children with problems are less of a drag on the schools scores and evaluations.

We homeschool now.

1
0
EDUCATIONISIMPORTANT
EDUCATIONIS... writes:
I did 2 years ago they were fine but it really depends the teacher if he does not like her/him then say no so just go and meet the teacher just like I did it also depends on the principal beacause now my son is getting bullied and the principal won't do any thing so I am going to get him out next year

0
1