Q:

How to explain math fact families to my first grader?

"I feel so stupid. I'm 27 and can't even help my first grader with his math homework. I don't remember learning fact families. Can anyone help with an easy explanation for him and me? lol"

Asked by Caroline in commenting on the activity, "Find the Math Fact Family":
http://www.education.com/activity/article/Fact_...
In Topics: Helping my child with school work and home work, Helping my child with math

|

Allyn Anderson

Here's a short definition for you. A "Fact Family is a collection of related addition
and subtraction facts, or multiplication and division facts, made from the same numbers. For 7, 8, and 15, the addition/subtraction fact family consists of  7 + 8 = 15, 8 + 7 = 15, 15 - 8 = 7, 15 - 7 = 8.

For 9, 6, and 54, the multiplication/division fact family consists of 6 * 9 = 54, 9 * 6 = 54, 54/9 = 6, 54/6 = 9."

Below is a web site that might give you additional information.
14
2

alfletcher
alfletcher writes:
I teach them about the "house". They are a family and each equation has it's own room. Two on the downstairs, two upstairs. The roof of the house has the three numbers in each point (triangle rooftop, a number in each angle). The equations each have their own room
for instance 5,3,8 go in the triangle/roof.
Put a + sign in the two bottom rooms and a - sign in the two top rooms to get them started.
Then, make your triangle; 5+3=8,3+5=8;
Big brother number goes first in subtraction so 8 will start both minus equations.
I hope this helps!!!!

15
0
tbftgog
tbftgog writes:
Fact families are the names for each number.  You do it for 10, then 9, 8,7, etc.

Example:  Names for ten or the ten family.
Since 10 + 0= 10     Then 0 + 10 += 10
Since 9 + 1 + 10      Then 1 + 9 = 10
8 + 2 =10,    2 + 8 =  etc....

Names for nine (nine family).
Since 9 + 0 = 9  then 0 + 9 = 9, 8 + 1= 9,    1 + 8 =9, etc...

Having the child write these daily and using flash cards with the "fact families",
helps the child eventually memorize and know the answer just by seeing the numbers together. 8 + 2 = 10   2 + 8= 10,  7 + 3 =10  3 + 7 = 10, etc

Hope this is of help to you.
Homeschooling mother of 6

4
1
affanahmed
affanahmed writes:
3+8=11
8+3=11
11-8=3
11-3=8

1
0
NaturallyRaw
NaturallyRaw writes:
This is NOT an answer, however I had to let you know you are not alone here! I personally do not care for this mythology of teaching, I feel they should have left delivery of material alone and changed how they think "standard" for no one knows standard really for everyone is different and learns different things at different rates. and there are several different learning methods..... hands on....... or black board and book...etc... making a "standard and changing the delivery" so all learn the same equally is only dumbing our nation down.  Standards get lowered this way, kids get bored... etc... it's all crazy... I am 48 have a 27 yr old who went thru school fine...now my 7 yr old and I look at her homework and I go ..HUH???? Then I have to read it several times and/or look to the internet! Then I am thinking how dumb! I hate it for she knew without confusion how to add double digits until first grade that confused her!! It's insane!  There are 5 states that are not using the common core (yet) hope they keep it that way!  Think I need to move to better educate my child!! sorry wanted to share, it's just my opinion, maybe food for thought!  Good Luck to your child and you!

8
1
hiray
hiray writes:
Which is a fact related fact 15-6=9

1
1
1980mireya
1980mireya writes:
Write the fact family for these numbers 0,2

1
1
dlsnyder55
dlsnyder55 writes:
A fact family is a group of numbers that can have related addition and subtraction facts.  Example: in the addition sentence, 2+3=5, the "family members" are the numbers 2, 3, 5.  5 represents the "whole" and 2 and 3 are the "parts" that can be shown in related addition and subtraction sentences.  So, besides 2+3=5, there are three other related facts: 3+2=5, 5-2=3, 5-3=2.

3
0
vegac4
vegac4 writes:
Fact families are like this:9+4=13-9=4+9=13-4=9                                                    If you do a fact family it has to equal all the numbers  when you solve it.

1
0
SarahCoyte
SarahCoyte writes:
In spite of the fact that the above answered gave a fascinating point, math is truth be told very genuine and as you yourself have expressed all inclusive. The cases he gave about having 4 quarters or 4 bits of paper, the gathering and so forth are all missing one essential component: Context. Math is as genuine as the connection to which it is connected thus the need for science in any case. Arithmetic was gotten from the physical world and realities we have seen about it, and keeps an eye on own interest in seeing how the world functions, notwithstanding this need for the down to earth ordinary use of science in something as straightforward as expansion and subtraction.

1
0
shortJohnhill
shortJohnhill writes:
You can help your first grader to his assignment on regular basis if you do no know math then help him with other subject which you know you can can teach that subject.

0
0
LucyPopovich
LucyPopovich writes:
You can do to his assignment on a regular basis. Then you can easily archive daily work Math is import Subject in Education.
https://www.theacademicpapers.co.uk/assignment-writing-help.php

0
0
AlbertBarkley
AlbertBarkley writes:
Fact families are 3 numbers that are related, just as the people in a family are related. They make a set of related math facts. For example,
3 + 5 = 8,      8 - 3 = 5
5 + 3 = 8,      8 - 5 = 3
Here 8, 5 and 3 are family.
In another example,
3 x 5 = 15,      15 ÷ 3 = 5
5 x 3 = 15 ,     15 ÷ 5 = 3
Here 15, 5 and 3 are family.

1
0
karinablack
karinablack writes:
when he explained, try 2 times to repeat the same thing in different words. Try to set an example in the picture, or on the fingers. Use matches or apples for mathematical problems

0
0
muhammad27
muhammad27 writes:
mother buy food 2 packs of bread and eaten his first bread means staying one bread.
2 - 1 = 1.
http://www.kutunjuk.com/

0
0
nikkimaria
nikkimaria writes:
The article you have public here very wonderful. I really like and valued your work. I read tremendously your article, the point you have mention in this article are accommodating. http://www.assignmentcafe.co.uk/uk-assignment-writing-service/

0
0
vivavideopc9
vivavideopc9 writes:

0
0
payp23
payp23 writes:
thanks a lot.Hi! I need your help regarding your question that whether we can be sure for free codes of Itunes when the online platform for music and games is making wave in the world and you could also get the ways to make money online so that everybody of you have some gift cards of iTunes online from the website that i have mentioned.

0
0
ankishchaudhary3
ankishchaud... writes:
Just by using the different resources from google simply or by using directly resources relting this field.

1
0
niamhkatee
niamhkatee writes:
I am a Medical Student and I have heard a lot about Dissertation problem of Students and I would like to recommend Affordable Assignment Help is one of the best for helping purposes. They can do all the stuff on time and rates are really reasonable.
For more: http://www.immaculateassignments.co.uk/

0
0
niamhkatee
niamhkatee writes:
I am a Maths Student and I have heard a lot about Dissertation problem of Students and I would like to recommend Affordable Assignment Help is one of the best for helping purposes. They can do all the stuff on time and rates are really reasonable.

0
0