Danielle
Danielle , Parent asks:
Q:

How many extracurriculars are too much for a 4 year old?

This is going to sound like a ridiculous question, but how many activities are too much for a 4 year old? My son wants to try martial arts, a theater class, gymnastics... I don't want to sign him up for too much-- I want him to have free time to play. If you have a child this age, how many activities do you do with them after school?
In Topics: Work/family balance

|
fritzr
fritzr writes:
I don't have a four year old but I would imagine it really depends on the type of activity.  Tumbling and gymnastics are very different from learning a foreign language.  Most kids I know who do gymnastics think of it as play.  Same thing with theater.  Generally I wouldn't recommend martial arts for a four year old since it looks like fun but is actually fairly regimented.  I usually tell parents to start kids in martial arts around Kindergarten.    As long as your son thinks of the activity as fun though then I think any number of activities is fine.  

0
0
marijorobles
marijorobles writes:
Hello, I am Maria Josefa Robles, and I currently studying in University of Santo Tomas. I am taking up Special Education most likely, related to Early childhood education. And according to one of my professors when we have this discussion about Learning. She told us that the perfect time to teach a child is when he/ she is ready. But the big question there is "how will you know if the child is ready to learn an specific activity?" Our professor told us that you will know if the child is ready to learn when he/ she is already eager to learn or curious to an specific activity. As for your dillemma, if I were in your shoe I will support my child I will going to enroll him but I will make him understand that he cant enroll all at once then state your reasons like for example he might forget his studies. This kind of children really have an absorbment mind so rest assured that he will really understand what are you decisions.

0
0