Q:

If I failed my last year of middle school, am I eligible to go to night school as an alternative?

"In the school year of 09-10, I failed the eighth grade...It was my last year of Jr. high so I would not like to repeat it because of the embarrassment. So I want to know if I am eligible to go to night school as an alternative in this upcoming year. At this time I will be of age as a freshman (age 14)."

Asked by Joseph via email.
In Topics: School and Academics, Public School

|
Victoriam01
Victoriam01 writes:
Joseph,
You will need to contact a guidance counselor at your school and discuss the situation with him/her.  Rules vary from district to district, so your counselor would be the best person to assist you.  Afterall, that's what counselors are for.  Good luck.

1
0
BMelton , Teacher writes:
Joseph,
You feel failing 8th grade is an embarrassment and feel highly motivated to continue your education and find success. Good for you! Night school is an option. Many areas also have alternative schools that support student success in a number of ways. You may have to complete some of your 8th grade classes or all of them depending on state requirements. Don't be discouraged. You are doing the right thing for yourself. Failure is a learning experience that can help us to realize our full potential. Focus on what you want in the future-- to graduate from high school with your class. That may mean catching up in the next one or two through summer school and tutoring.

A school counselor is your best resource. Contact your middle school or high school counselor and see what choices you have. At age 14, you are not behind yet but the longer you put this off the more frustrated you may become. Hang in there and ask for assistance!

1
0