Q:

What is your favorite Dr. Seuss book and why?

On March 2nd, in honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday, millions of kids will open a book at home and/or school as part of the Read Across America program: http://www.education.com/seasonal/read-across-a...

As we celebrate this occasion, we're wondering which Dr. Seuss books are most adored by members of the Education.com community. Thanks for sharing about your and your child's favorites, including what you like about them!
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Recommended Books, Family fun / holiday celebrations

|

I love reading Dr. Seuss books to children.  No matter what age, everyone enjoys listening to his stories.  Younger students like the silly looking characters, funny sounds, made up words, and rhyming rhythm.  Often they have heard these stories several times and like chiming in when they know the words.  I think every child dreams of having a babysitter like the Cat in the Hat.

However, older students also like to hear his stories when listening for a different purpose.  For example, The Lorax has an environmental theme that can be used as a springboard for further discussion.  The Butter Battle Book can be use to teach tolerance.  And Oh, the Places You'll go is inspirational.

You are never too old for Dr. Seuss!

3
0

bob , Parent writes:
"But if I ran the zoo," said young Gerald MacGrew, "I'd make a few changes.  That's just what I'd do."  Not my children's favorite.  Mine.

The story of a young boy who sees past the ordinary, who brings in great imagination and works it all through in his head, seeing the whole reconstruction of the zoo population using creatures having mind boggling capabilities and tongue twisting names.  Planet Earth is too small for Gerald's imagination, perhaps even the laws of physics are as well.

How many times each of us has lived out multiple entire lives in this way, bringing in elements that spark inspiration and bring great joy to others?  Sometimes all in the blink of an eye.

Gerald's waking dream is my favorite.  It teaches that the possibilities are limited only by the fantasies of each of us.

4
0
eliad
eliad , Parent writes:
That's an hard one because I really love many of them. I apologize but I have to mention few.

1. 'Wocket in my Pocket' - For the pure fun, silliness and great imagination
2. 'The Lorax' - For the environmental awareness it raises
3. 'Oh the places you'll go' - For keeping hope alive and encouraging us to take control of our future.

We marked the date on the calendar and we're going to celebrate his birthday with bringing out our favorite Seuss books.

2
0
ReadingEarly
ReadingEarly writes:
I love his books. My favorite is "Oh, the Places You'll Go".  I love the rhythm, the sounds, the story, the silliness. I love reading it and they love hearing it over and over.

2
0
901061
901061 writes:
my favorite is green eggs and ham

2
0
Currently, one of our favorite Dr. Seuss books is one he wrote under the pen name, "Theo. LeSieg" entitled, "Would you rather be a Bullfrog?". It takes the reader through various choices that help start discussions about personal preference. For instance, "Would you rather be a Bullfrog...or be a Butterfly? Which one would you rather be? Come on, now. Tell me why." Some of the choices are random and unassociated ("...would you rather be a Mermaid with a tail instead of feet...OR... Would you rather be a Spook and run around dressed in a sheet?"). Others are between items that are related: "would you rather be a Table... or a Chair?" When we read this story we usually end up in giggles, not only at the interesting choices presented to us, but also as we explain to each other why we'd prefer to be one of the items over the other.

Other Dr. Seuss favorites in our household...

"Green Eggs and Ham"
"Mr. Brown can MOO! Can You?"
and
"The Foot Book"

0
0
Some answers shared via Facebook...

From a San Francisco/Bay Area mother of a 10 year old girl and 5 year old boy: "I do not like them Sam I am !! LOVE IT !! Has to be Green Eggs and Ham"

From a father of a 5 year old boy and 3 year old girl, based in Dallas, Texas: "The Butter Battle Book. What a great way to explain the arms race to young kids."

From a San Francisco/Bay Area mother of two young boys under age 8: "A tie between 'Oh, The Places You'll Go!' and 'The Sneetches'"

From a Ketchikan, Alaska mother of a 12 year old boy: "The Foot Book...cuz [my son] loved it when he was little!"

From a Los Angeles, California mother of three girls (age 20, 10 and 8): "'Are you my mother?' It was my brothers fav! And all three kids fav!"

1
0
Anonymous