lovemykid
lovemykid asks:
Q:

How can I fight it if my son's school tries to place him in an alternative school?

Son has adhd, 12 yrs old, on meds since age 4, mainstreamed into all regular classes, honor roll, has IEP only to help with sloppy writing and organization skills. He's very smart. Was playing video games over live video game chat with friends from school and made a threatening verbal statement about the school and immediately recanted it and said he was only kidding. Got suspended and now... we don't know what will happen. No other offenses, good grades, has friends. (one told their mom about the statement, said he was afraid, not sure ifo he just didn't want to go to school) I'm really afraid, tomorrow is a hearing to discuss it. Recieved a letter about the meeting tomorrow which referred an alternative placement for my son in acccordance with public school code section10-1902-E, don't know if it was just a formality or if that's the real plan for the meeting. He was so upset and love's his school. He was frustrated with a kid at school who seems to be bullying some of the kids and made a poor statement because of it.
In Topics: Public School, Bullying and teasing

|
I am so sorry to hear that you are having to go through this difficult situation.  It seems as though you have an excellent student and some of his kidding was taking too seriously.  There is just so much bullying and terrible things that has happened in school, that a harmless joke is considered to be a dangerous situation.  Some of it is over reacting drama, but the school can not afford to take that chance if a student makes a threatening comment, they must investigate it to prevent harm to the other students.  Most likely you are just experiencing the "red tape" of the investigation of his joke and you will be able to reconcile this situation at the meeting.  

Remain calm and supportive of your son and if possible I would have him attend the meeting also to express his regrets for the joke and apologize for having offended others.  This would also provide the opportunity for you to discuss his frustrations with the bullying of the other students and express that they too need to have a meeting to consider what actions should be taken to cease that behavior.  This may be a blessing in disguise and instead of causing problems for your son, just may be what is needed to end some of his concerns or worries.

I wish you both the best and you should not allow yourself to be intimidated by this meeting.  I believe that you can handle this with ease and remember that you are only meeting with other people that is on the same team with you to work together and decide what is in the best interest of your child as well as the other students.  Best Wishes!!!

1
0
teabag
teabag writes:
well i would ask him to stop

0
1
thebeast
thebeast writes:
well i think your kid needs to apoligse and tell everyone that the statment was not ment to make anyone feel unsafe.If this don't work then you might have to get your son to switch schools or tell the principle that your son is very sorry for what he did.He could write an apoligie letter to all the kids and say sorry and that he was not trying to scare anyone.

0
0
nickay
nickay writes:
let the school board have it, the school board officals are only trying to cover their rear ends so if something were to happen they could say they looked into it. As far as im concered the administration needs to be looking into the bullying instead of bothering a kid who was messing around with his friends, at his own house.

0
0