AmberConner
AmberConner asks:
Q:

How do I file a complaint against my Childrens school?

my 3 children go to school at Knapp elementry where they are constently bullied and picked on by students as well as the teachers. I feel that the school is racist to my children. I have filed complaints at the school and need to know what the next step is. As of today my children were sent home walking without parent or teacher supervision 5min before school started. The priciple stated that they told my children they needed to be escorted to school by an adult without writing a note to inform me. Two of my children have been diagnoised with ADHA and they are trying to force me to put them into special classes. I feel that this school does not have my childrens best interest in sight. I feel that they are racist against my children due to the fact that they are 3 out of 5 causian children in this school and the students who are bulling my children are of a different race. I had to bring the police to the school to get the principle to do anything about the bulling. I dont know what to do as a parent I dont want to just remove my kids from school but I dont know what other choices I have as a parent right now can you help me?

|

Dear Amber,

We are sorry to hear that your children continue to be harassed and bullied. It is difficult when we know our children are singled out and treated differently. If the Principal of the school is not doing anything to hold the kids who are bullying accountable, then you need to take your complaints to another level. Talk to the school counselor for starters, it's possible that the counselor can help your children by talking about their feelings. The school counselor can contact the parents of the kids who are doing the bulling. However, it may be a difficult spot for the counselor to be in when it comes to helping you with the teachers who are bulling your children.

If you still don't get anywhere at the school with the principal and counselor, the next step would be to go to the superintendent of the school district or the school board. If you continue to have problems you can reach out to the local media, just as the previous responder suggested to you.

As far as the suggestion that your children be put into special education classes for ADHD, make sure that you are getting all of the information and understand their reasoning. Many children with ADHD have difficulty in a traditional classroom because of the many distractions. Some schools are better equipped to help children with ADHD than others. You may need to do more research on the schools in your area and their approach to special education.

We are here 24 hours, 7 days a week to help parents and kids of all ages. Please give us a call or e-mail us. We also have a website for parents: www.parenting.org You definitely have a lot on your plate and have some important decisions to make. You don't have to go through this alone, we are here to help!

Cynthia, Crisis Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org
www.parenting.org

1
1

sjohns02
sjohns02 writes:
you can go to the school board, the superintendent, and if that don't work go to your local newspaper.  I am having issues with the school my child goes to and these are the steps that I am taking,

2
0
essetta29
essetta29 writes:
If nobody is lisening to you look into other options like private schools with small class sizes and find people who are certified to work with your children because they deserve to be treated with respect and feel safe.

0
0