janjus
janjus asks:
Q:

How do I file a complaint against the school staff and the boy who kicked my son in the eye while my son was held down by another boy.

The school did not notify me when my son was knocked down by a couple of boys, held down and kicked in the eye. He has some damage to the eye has to go back to the specialist in two weeks. After that incident I asked the nurses office to give me a list of the incidents that occurred with my son and found out about 8 other incidents of injury of some sort. My son has been acting out this whole school year with bad tempers, night terrors, and having lot of fear. We started counseling at the beginning of March. I have taken him out of the school and put him another school and he is doing much better now. I tried to get the parents name of the student but the principle said she didn't get to do a full investigation because I did not let my son go back to school after the last incident and he did not want to go back. He begged me to take him out of the school. I hope the damage has cleared in his eye but we will see in two weeks. He could still have future damage to the eye as well. I feel I need to speak to the parents of the child that did this to my son .
In Topics: Working with school administrators, Bullying and teasing

|

Dear Janjus,

We are very sorry your son was treated this way and you were not notified when this incident happened, nor of the other 8 incidents. This is very disturbing. From what you describe this is an example of escalated bullying. By the school not holding these kids responsible, it sent the message to the boys who got away with this behavior, as well as to the entire school, that bullying is something to be feared and ingnored and not confronted.

You have every right to speak to the parents of the child who hurt your son! Do not take "No" for answer.  By all means, if it takes going to the school superintendent, then do it. The fact that your son has wounds which are serious and possibly damaging to his eye, is very scary and the boys who did this and their parents need to know and be held accountable.

Consider making a police report. You don't mention the ages of the boys, but if they are older children or teenagers they may receive a ticket for assault and have to go through counseling and complete community service hours. If the boys are younger elementary age, then the parents will be held accountable to get their children help and it may be decided that the family attend counseling if other problems are discovered along the way. By taking charge and holding the boys and their parents accountable, you are sending a strong message that you are not going to sweep it under the rug as has been done in the past.

It sounds like you are handling things well with your son. It's good that you changed schools and have him in couseling. Hopefully he will make many new friends at his new school and the night terrors and fear will diminish over time. We also pray your son's eye will heal and there is no permanent damage. Even though we strongly encourage you to talk to the parents, the school and the police, your son's physical and mental health is your first priority.

If you would like to speak with one of our counselors we are here 24 hours, 7 days a week to help parents with any problem. We have a website which you may also find useful: www.parenting.org
Take care and continue to reach out. We are here to help!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

1
0

Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:
Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

I am not positive, but in light of the anti-bullying legislation that has been introduced in many states, there may be a state office which may help you. Also, you may wish to consult with the police liaison for schools in your area.

Good luck and so sorry about your son's difficulties.

0
0
Calico_Jack123
Calico_Jack... writes:
Well, what you should do is you should first go to the principal of the school,have a talk with him/her, and then tell the principal what happened.

0
0
ZULEYMA
ZULEYMA writes:
Why wasn't there a police report done  by you, this would of help and you could got the name of the parents who kids did this to your son, you could got a lawyer  to fight this.The longer you wait it will be more hard  to help your son, then the school can say that it didn't happen at all

0
0
marybethhall
marybethhall writes:
Press charges at your county level.

0
0
verymaddad
verymaddad writes:
how do i go about filing a complaint with the school district.is there anyway to get legal help?

0
0
sonofmine2
sonofmine2 writes:
Hopefully this isn't a private school... I went down this road. Where the teacher watched while my son 6th grade was kicked and kneed  in the side and created a big black bruise that didn't go away for two weeks.. It was a teachers in 2nd grade son.  We left the school in ky and went to another school (private) better so far!! The principal at the old school was no help he blamed it on my son and said my son should of said something. I said well I am saying something.  he is in fear and This bully even did this to a fifth grader who's mom called his mom.. It didn't do any good. But you can try that. contacting the parents of that child who did that to your son. Second get him out of the school.  My son had depression issues, didn't want to leave home. His doctor said to get him out of the school. The bully at my son's old school had disiplinary actions from Saturday school, detention, etc. Did no good. He knew his mom teaches there and was safe. He could do anything. And knew it. We were told we couldn't come back!! AMEN... I wasn't anyway. But I took pictures also just incase. private schools a parent has no jurisdiction.

0
0
richardo14
richardo14 writes:
I am very sorry to hear about your sons eye and hope he makes a full recovery.There is a law that is been adopted by every state in the USA that you can use to go after the school for not doing their due diligence to your son,and your family.I have provided you with a link to a website that have a copy of the law you can use to contact the police in your state and file a complain against this school.Also get a lawyer to take your case and you will get compensated from the school.They failed to take the appropriate actions and they owe you and your son.Again I am truly sorry and hope this information can get the justice your family deserve.

0
0
liciacutie
liciacutie writes:
i think you should take it to the news because the school should be awaring students parents about the child getting bullied and beating the school deserved to known for not caring for the child situation with the bully situation..

0
0