daughterhelp asks:

Need to find affordable help for my daughter's cutting?

My daughter is cutting herself and I want her to get professional help but I am currently unemployed how could I find help for her like this?
In Topics: Cutting
> 60 days ago



Boys Town National Hotline
Apr 26, 2012
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Please go to the website below and type in your city.


Click on your city when it appears on the list and it will pull up a phone number (often simply 2-1-1) that you can call in your area.  This is a referral line that can provide you with information regarding such services in your area.  When you are on the phone with them, tell them about your financial situation and see if they have any referrals that can either work on a sliding scale or free of charge.  Also it may be good to seek out the help of the school counselor and see if they can work with your daughter on this problem.  The school counselor also may be able to provide you with appropriate referrals which may be cheap or free of charge.  We hope this is helpful for you.

Please take care and remember that you can call the Boys Town National Hotline 24 hours a day at the number below, free of charge to discuss any parenting issue.  We are here to help, you are not alone!

Counselor, NZ

Boys Town National Hotline

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

aqblickley writes:
Hi daughterhelp,

I feel for you as you deal with this very scary and emotional situation! You've taken a great first step by reaching out for help to an online community, although by its nature an online forum cannot provide all of the individual support your family needs during this difficult time.

There is an anonymous cutting support hotline that's completely free to call, and is available 24/7. It would be good for both you and your daughter (if she's willing to) to talk to the experts who work there. The number is easy to remember, too: 1(800) DONT-CUT.

You might also try talking to the guidance counselor at your daughter's school (if she's of school age). Middle schools and high schools usually employ empathetic and skilled guidance counselors who are used to handling the types of issues that teens go through, and unfortunately, self-harm is all too common in teens.

I hope this helps!

Best of luck to you and your family,

> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend Education.com to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely