SOSAD asks:

WHAT NEXT where can we find help for this child and how do we cope with all this.

Our 4th grader was sent home told not to come back-we are in the process of having him declared aspergers.
Teachers said he is unteachable and we should put him somewhere were others are like him. He is very high functioning but other children knows hes different so they just keep at him until he melts down then its his fault teachers say he just needs to live in the real world. This is one of the most lovable little boys and he knows things most adults only wish they knew or could do. The schools here were we live in Georgia will not work with this at all-they want him just put somewhere--the drugs that doctors gave him with no testing at all just made him worse. He's mother has walked away from him said she wasn't going to "waste her time" We are at the end of a rope and as the grandmother I am so sad and so lost and I just don't know what to do anymore. I have to work to keep all of us going and I try so hard. Help Help we need help. Please someone somewhere there has to be help.
We are located near Statesboro, Ga and we just can't find any help here.  
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, My gifted child
> 60 days ago



Feb 2, 2012
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Hello and THANK YOU for writing to JustAsk!

First, I commend you for reaching out on behalf of your grandson. I am so sorry that the educational system has not given you the support you have sought, either.

First, please place in writing a request for a formal IEP team meeting to be commenced on behalf of your son. Send it to the School Principal, the Director of Special Education in your school district and the special education team leader. Keep a copy for your records. (Actually start a file for ALL documents).

By sending your request or help in writing you are formally starting the "special education clock'.  By law, the district has only a set number of days to meet with you and conduct and assessments or changes to programs. To read about special education law please refer to WRIGHTS LAW

Also, information about schools and the laws that guide special education and due process can be found here: (press parent tab)

You will find these groups to be great support resources for you. Some have radio shows that are very worth the time to listen to garner additional information.


THE COFFEE KLATCh (radio shows, as well, including many interviews with Asperger specialists) (Twitter #Thecoffeeklatch or #TCK)

I wish you the best of luck and hope that you find the help you are seeking.

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

mls90 writes:
My advice is to search locally for autism services. There are services that will work with your child to help him cope with his behavior problems while still being able to attend school with typical peers. I wish I could guide you to specific agencies in Georgia, but I am not familiar with them. It can be a fight to find services for your grandson, but there are people out there. Keep faith, and keep looking. I wish you the best of luck.
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely