Q:

How to find out about having my child tested if he/she is behind in school?

"I heard an ad on KFLAG Radio this morning regarding have my children tested to see if he/she is behind in school, what his weaknesses are or if maybe he/she is just bored because the work is too easy for him/her. How do I find out about this?"

Above question asked by Lori, via email to Education.com webmaster.
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs

|

Hello Lori,

Any parent with a child attending the public schools in the United States has a right to ask for a psycho-educational team meeting to discuss your child's educational progress ( or possible delays with progress)  and decide if evaluations are necessary for interventions.  I always advise parents to make all requests in writing and place a date on your request.  This is very important as the laws which guide this process are suppose to adhere to a time line.

However, it is possible that the team of specialists and yourself may opt to have behavioral and educational analysis conducted before a full psycho-educational evaluation which determines a child's stengths, weaknesses, social-emotional development, etc.

I have included a website (in addition to the great articles on this subject here on Education.com) to help you understand this process.

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com

0
0

hlevitan
hlevitan , Teacher writes:
Lori,

Having your child tested to see if he or she is not challenged in school or if he or she needs more academic support is a great idea.  I suggest that you talk with your school district to arrange this testing. They should be able to accommodate you if you provide a good reason for why your child should be tested.

Before you even test your child, I suggest asking him or her about school.  Ask your child if he or she is bored with the school work:  Is the work too easy?  Too difficult?  

Here is an article for identifying students with special needs:
http://www.education.com/reference/article/identifying-students-special-needs/

The following article, “Using Tests to Identify Gifted Children” will hopefully help you:
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Using_Tests_Identify/

This article suggests other means besides the public school where you can get your child tested for giftedness: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Ed_Testing_1_2_3/

Whether your child would benefit from a more challenging curriculum or extra support, it is important to help your child learn and succeed to his or her maximum potential.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes,

Hayley

0
0
mommys4boys
mommys4boys writes:
Depending on how your child's school system is, the teacher should show some concern for your child as well. The teacher would have the connection's for the proper paper work filled out for the testing to be done at your school during school hours. Then my recommendation would be to just keep bugging the school about the results.

Good luck with the testing!!!

0
0
JRTeacher
JRTeacher , Teacher writes:
Psychoeducational testing should not be used as a screening for students that are having academic trouble in school.  If you have a significant concern that your child may have a learning disability, or are concerned that he or she is not working to potential, then you should work with your child's school and have your son or daughter referred to the school's Student Success Team (or whichever name is used at your school) to identify areas of weaknesses and interventions w/in the classroom or outside of the classroom with reading/math specialists (if your school has one on site) that can help your child.  Most students that are having trouble in school do not have a learning disability.  Psychoeducational testing is a very serious matter that involves privacy issues and utilization of scarce school district resources and should be the last resort for a specific subset of students who are having difficulty in school.

0
0