StitchedRose
StitchedRose asks:
Q:

can someone please help me find coping skills instead of cutting?

i feel super depressed im 13 and i need help with cutting i am addicted. i need more coping skills. i feel like im not good enough. my mom is saying im doing it to make her feel guilty but im not, i swear! how can i tell her and make her believe me that im not doing it to make her feel guilty.
In Topics: Cutting

|

There are lots of different coping skills out there.  Here are some suggestions:

- listening to music
- writing
- watch TV/movies
- talking to friends
- drawing
- exercising
- going for a walk
- playing with the dog
- cooking/baking

It takes a bit of time for you to find out what your coping skills are and which ones work best.  Make a list like the one above and keep using it, crossing off the ones that don't work and starring the ones that do.  Eventually, you'll figure out what works best for you.

Also, keep in mind that none of your coping skills will feel very good at first when you try to replace the cutting.  It's going to be really hard in the beginning, so keep focused and be ready for a bit of discomfort.  It should get easier as time goes by, though.

MKM, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
1
0

Tayworld
Tayworld writes:
Aww honey, please don't hurt yourself! I care about you stopping and you as a person. Have you told your dad about it or any teachers? You should! My name is Jen and you can tell me and I will try to help you if I can. You are worth everything......I swear! If your mom doesn't seem to quite understand , maybe if you tell a teacher or another adult maybe they can help you get your mom to understand. What is it about cutting that you feel addicted to? Can't you try cutting something else instead of yourself when you want to do it.....like wood? Try carving into wood.....you may find some talent in it and it won't hurt you...
Anything I can do, don't hesitate to chat with me
Smile and be strong that you are wonderful
Jen

1
0
StitchedRose
StitchedRose writes:
my parents are divorced and my mom got a restraining order aginst him so if i tell him he will start drinking again and he will never understand. im addicted to the release of pain it gives me, its like an instant way to stop feeling your emotions and start feeling something else. my best friend recently stopped talking to me because of it. i dont know what to do!

0
0
Hi stitchedrose,

I just wanted to check in and see how you're doing. Cutting is a very dangerous and unhealthy coping skill, so please talk to an adult: counselor, teacher, parent, or family member -- to get help.

Check out www.yourlifeyourvoice.org (a site powered by Boys Town Hotline) for more helpful tips on cutting and coping with emotions.  

You can also call Boys Town Hotline for support using the hotline number below.

1-800-448-3000

Please take care of yourself
Alex

0
0
nastashap
nastashap writes:
tell her the reason y u r cutting

0
0