roxie131
roxie131 asks:
Q:

I need to find out more about the IEP program

I nedd to find out more on the IEP program to see how about getting my son involved into it
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs

|

IEP programs are official and individualized educational programs that begin with a process of review of a student's records, classroom learning behaviors and academic progress.  After this is conducted the special education team (including the legal parent/guardian) may wish to include psychological and educational testing within the schools. Not every child who has these preliminary reviews and/or evaluations qualifies for an IEP. Not every child who qualifies with a learning disorder needs to have an IEP as they may determined to be working up to the best of their ability within the classroom. You will need to request to speak to a person in your child's school who is the coordinator or director of special education services.

Louise Sattler, NCSP

0
0

Hi roxie131,

Great question! IEPs, or Individualized Education Programs, typically help out students with learning difficulties or delays by providing them with special services in public schools, free of charge. For example, kids with an IEP may get extra time taking multiple choice tests, or have the opportunity to sit with a reading teacher for a little extra guidance during regular class hours.

The point is: the child's plan is set up specifically for that child by school personnel to make learning easier for him or her.

Below, I'm including a link to an article that contains information about IEPs.

If you're looking for information about your child's school IEP process, I suggest you contact your child's teacher directly. I'm also including a link to our Find a School tool below - so you can track down the school's contact information.

Alex

0
0