taffy206
taffy206 asks:
Q:

Looking for a private teacher to homeschool my son.

I would like to pull my son from school and start "homeschooling" him. However, I am unable to home-school him myself. I would like to hire a private teacher to come to my home to teach my son. I have been unable to find any information or resources on how to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am particularly interested in finding someone who will teach with classical or core-knowledge teaching methods.
In Topics: Homeschooling

|
nicolebeebe
nicolebeebe writes:
Hello taffy206,

There are a ton of new and unemployed teachers out there that would be happy to have a job homeschooling your son. I just graduated from San Francisco State University with 25 other fabulous teachers, depending on where your located, one of us may be able to help you out. There are homeschooling websites out there too, to help with curriculum.
What grade is your son? What would you be willing to pay?

5
0
taffy206
taffy206 writes:
I am in the Minneapolis area.  I know there are a lot of out of work teachers out there, I was just wondering if anyone had any hints on going about finding one.

1
0
stephanie101
stephanie101 writes:
Hello.  I am a co-founder of School Your Way, a service that provides in-home teachers to students and families in the metro Atlanta area.  If you happen to be in our geographic area, please check out our website.

First, you would need to review your state laws regarding homeschooling.  Some states only allow an actual parent to teach.  Others are more lenient.  If it is an option within your state, you could post a job announcement online in education forums or even take out an ad in your local paper.  With the increasing number of budget cuts, you will likely be overwhelmed with applicants.

I would encourage you to stay very involved in your child's education.  There are wonderful curriculum options that are available.  Do not let someone convince you that they know what's best for you and your family.  

3
0
Educator11
Educator11 writes:
I am a certified teacher and I am interested in home schooling children. How old is your child, where do you reside and what are you looking for in chosen an educator for your child?

5
0
chila
chila writes:
i would like some one to come to my home and homeschool me son he is only 5 years old and how many hours a day do we need and how many days aweek do we need this

1
0
qsmama
qsmama writes:
Hi, I am a homeschool mom of a sixth grader. I also provide specialized reading services along with generalized teaching. I live in the East Atlanta area and also travel in the Roswell area. You can email me directly for questions at sparklefishq@yahoo.com.

1
0
allieo
allieo writes:
I have been teaching for fourteen years.  I have taught first, second, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth (All subjects, and I have a focus in Math).  I am intersested in homeschooling.  I don't have children of my own, but I have thought of homeschooling my nieces with my sister.

0
0
veroniqa
veroniqa writes:
hi,I am willing to teach your son.But .. where is your position?

0
0
larisahacman
larisahacman writes:
im going to eight grade and i really want go get homeschooled too. me and my mom are looking for teachers who can homeschool me. if you have any answers please help me caue i really want to be homeschooled.

0
0
larisahacman
larisahacman writes:

0
0
Placeksue
Placeksue writes:
I have been home schooling my son for several years, while having my 'own' business. This has given me the freedom to have him with me all the time and have the ability to work with his daily tasks.
Now I have given up my commercial business and have been re -routing it towards the educational and scientific research side of what once was based entirely "commercial". Within my commercial business over the years, I have taught all ages (children thru adult) both on and off for over thirty years. My original focus was classical music and I ended my formal education at the Juilliard School of Music. My other focus growing up was riding and ultimately training horses. I had wonderful European coaches and teachers and a few American trainers over my life time. Through training horses, I have cultivated communication with owners/students and most recently an online audience through youtube, all over the world.
My hope is to create an environment online that is "old" school learning of the basics....without taking the individuals creativeness and joy of learning. In other words, far more individualized and interactive than the educational "system" that I have seen protrayed in today's educational forums. My own son has strengths in areas that don't fit into today's institutionalized educational system. So not unlike the way I have trained race horses/ sport horses...or for that matter, play the harp or piano....I have cultivated with my background a "old but new" approach.....
If you are interested in more information, my email is tamarastafford@ymail.com. I did have websites for my work...the last one was Globalhorseowner.com...unfortunately I am now starting again without my commercial/economic infrastructure.

2
0
kpratt04
kpratt04 writes:
It all depends on state laws as to if a private teacher can legally homeschool. Some states require a legal parent or Guardian, however some states allow non-relatives to teach children in a home under a "Private Tutor" law. I have home-schooled for a family in NC and now live in FL. I have home-schooled children age3-3rd grade. Let me know if I can be of any help to you, and you can use the website below to check your state laws.

2
0
oswald1623
oswald1623 writes:
Hallo,
I am a teacher of English and German staying in Germany.
I would be glad to speak about homeschooling in your family.
Please contact me at...
oswald1623@rambler.ru
Thank you
Igor

1
0
BreeLW
BreeLW writes:
Hi Taffy,

We homeschool our 2 kids and we hired a teacher. When my son was in K, we hired a well-educated nanny. K curriculum is pretty easy, so she did a great job with the curriculum in a box that we ordered. He loved it, too. Now, we homeschool both our elementary age kids and hired a grad student obtaining a Master's in Education who had lots of teaching experience. We use the Calvert curriculum so our teacher doesn't have to do any real planning. We pay our teacher about $30k/yr. We live in a suburb of Washington, DC. That is about $20k less than the public schools but teachers were interested b/c the hours were short (32 hrs week), only 2 kids, no planning/grading papers/homework, and lots of ability to infuse their creativity/pedagogy style into the learning. I get to keep the career I love, my hubby and I get to homeschool our very, very bright kids, and the teacher gets a job she loves. It's a win/win for all!

Good luck finding a good teacher. We simply posted ads online and sent our job to local Edu. departments at colleges and posted to college career websites.

PS. Be sure to have the teacher sign an Independent Contractor agreement so s/he is responsible for their taxes and SS.

3
0
dotjack
dotjack writes:
If you are still interested in needing homeschooling for your son (2012-2013 school year) you may contact me by email and share his grade, and the city and state you reside.

1
0
MNteachermom
MNteachermom writes:
I am finding there are a number of families looking for a model like this.  I have been a teacher in the public school system in MN for 16 years, and am looking to home school my own children.  My friend and I are in the process of putting together a "christian home school" type school for any families interested.  (She is also a teacher in the public school system.)  We are both passionate about this because we see what is happening in the public schools and want the best for our kids.  I had the opportunity to home school a student for 2 years at 4 years into my career (a family paid me to do this) and it was the most rewarding experience of my career. This student was a 6th grader who was reading at a 1st grade level when I started with him.  In less than 6 months he was reading at a 5th grade level.  If anyone out there is interested in our venture please let me know!  My e-mail is lsherman99@hotmail.com

2
0
Rabia0122
Rabia0122 , Teacher writes:
I am wondering if you are still looking for a teacher for your son to come to your house to teach? I would be interested and about 9 years of experience. I look forward to hearing from you.

Rabia

1
0
markahollidayjr
markahollid... writes:
I want my son to be home-schooled because he needs to be one on one with a teacher. He is 13 years old and he is in the 7th grade.

0
0
KRolwes
KRolwes writes:
I am a licensed teacher with 6 years experience teaching grades 2nd-5th. Along with my Masters degree in education and B.S. in Child Psychology, I have numerous training and experience in many different behavioral management programs, curriculum, and instruction. I completely agree there is little to no easy resources out there for parents interested in this type of education for their child. I have been researching starting my own home school/ Nonpublic school. My goal is to provide individualized, successful instruction to a small group of kids in varies grade levels. I have a very specific mission that will allow all students to be successful and learn. I am seeking out possible families who may be interested in enrolling their child into my school. I would be happy to give you any information I have found in order to help you make a good decision for your son. I can also talk with you to see if he would be a great fit for my class. Also, where are you located at? I live in the Minneapolis area of Minnesota. Please email me at kidslifecoaching@gmail.com

1
0
silva4j
silva4j writes:
What province or state do you live?

0
0