Anonymous
Q:

How can I find the college for my daughter with special needs?

My daughter has mild downsyndrom, and she will be grauate high school on next year.
I would like to fine some more collage educate for her if I can.
In Topics: Jobs/Careers

|

Thank you for contacting Education.com

It is so great that you are helping your daughter plan her college education. She is fortunate to have an involved parent as yourself!

Talk to your daughter's high school counselor for scholarships information. Usually during the student's junior and senior year, the high school counselors start sending out information to parents about upcoming scholarships and grants. If you have not yet heard from the guidance counselor, make an appointment to speak with them.

The National Association for Down Syndrome may be a resource for scholarships and college information. You can find them at: www.nads.org   You can also contact our Hotline either by phone on our toll-free number, or through e-mail. Our counselors are available 24 hours 7 days a week for parents needing help with any problem.

Take care and best wishes to you and your daughter!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

0
0

It is wonderful that you are such an involved and supportive parent. I hope you are able to find the right fit for her ongoing education. To get recommendations specific to your daughter, I suggest you contact her high school guidance counselor or specialist who helped to create her IEP.

Here is a list of 11 colleges with great programs for students with learning disabilities: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/07/best-ld-programs_n_603369.html However, many factors make a difference as you're choosing her college: size, location, community college or 4 year, etc.

Below, I've included a link to an article that addresses some of the things you and your daughter should be thinking about as she gets ready to apply to college.

Good luck, and hope this helps!

0
0
laura103196
laura103196 writes:
If your daughter has a therapist, you can ask her for advice. He or she should be used to those type of questions and will find the best college for your daughter's needs

1
0