Q:

What is the focus of each of the different alternative high schools?

"I have been looking for information on alternative high schools. Your site tells what an alternative high school is but each has a different focus. I didn't find mention of the focus of each of the different high schools. Maybe I am missing the next step. Can you advise?"

Asked by Jennifer via email.

In Topics: School and Academics, Choosing a school

|

kellysfinn
kellysfinn , Parent writes:

When a school is labeled "alternative" it usually focuses on at-risk youth, so in high school those most likely to drop-out or those who have been expelled from regular school settings.  At-risk students are identified as not achieving in regular school settings; these identifiers usually include poor attendance and truancy.

Your best bet to learn about a specific school program is to contact the school.  Our SchoolFinder tool has information on alternative schools and contact info (www.education.com/schoolfinder) and the Alternative High School Initiative is also a great resource for information on these schools.

Best,
Kelly

1
0