salfam
salfam asks:
Q:

How many food groups?

I'm trying to teach my 5 year old about food groups and I'm not sure what to teach: is it the basic 4: meat/eggs, dairy, fruit/vegetable, & breads OR is the new vertical food pyramid more correct to teach?
In Topics: Nutrition

|

Learning about food groups and healthy foods can be fun for a 5-year-old!  Include your child in the kitchen, let her make food choices, go grocery shopping together, and let her pack school lunch with you.  

Tips on teaching kids eat healthy

http://www.superkidsnutrition.com/nutrition_answers/pr_10-mindful-eating-tips.php

0
0

jmamable
jmamable , Caregiver writes:
Hi salfam,

It looks like the USDA still uses a "pyramid" illustration to represent the important food groups, but the rules are a little more specific than they used to be. When I was growing up, we were taught "eat a lot of these, some of this, and only very rarely that." Now it gives specific amounts that adults should eat, but the rules seem to be a little more flexible for kids.

My personal thoughts is that neither method is "correct". Whatever your family views as healthy is right for your situation. In general: whenever possible, choose to eat lean meats, veggies, and whole grains at meals, and go easy on the sugar and fat. In my opinion, that's all anyone needs to know!

1
0
Hi salfam,

I think it's great that you are teaching your 5 year old the importance of eating healthy.  What a fun way to spend time together.  Education.com has many activities available to help you with this, I've included links below.  

To answer your question, there are 6 food groups:

1) Brad, Rice & Pasta
2) Vegetable
3) Fruit
4) Milk, Yogurt & Cheese
5) Meat, Poultry, Fish, Beans & Nuts
6) Fats, Oils & Sweets

Don't forget 8 servings of Water.  Some charts actually include this as another group, making it 7 food groups.

Use the last link to visit a site that has a printable food group chart and the healthy food alphabet.

0
0
jeffreyevers
jeffreyevers writes:
Hello friend, we can mainly classify food into two groups veg and non-veg. it is better to search on internet to know more about food groups.

0
0