daphneo asks:

I think I have a form of autism, what should I do?

I have been trying to get my mother to take me somewhere to get diagnosed but she read about the normal autism and still thinks that im just crazy i keep mentioning other forms of autism but she doesn't seem to take this seriously like its not a dangerous lonely and painful condition i have no idea what to do i really need to get help of some sort but i can't afford it and she refuses to use her insurance for that so if anyone could help me either convince her or do something so i can move on that would be greatly appreciated
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome
> 60 days ago



Wayne Yankus
Jun 4, 2008
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Talk to your doctor, ask your guidance counselor or a trusted teacher.  As a minor you will need your mom's consent for help, but you can start with these available knowledgeable people.  Go on line or search community help sites and see what is available to you in your community such as a mental health center. Most or many of these are charging clients on a sliding scale (meaning what you can afford).  It can work for you.  Unfortunately, there is nothing "normal" about autism let mom know what you have found.  Her insurance may in fact cover evaluations.

Wayne Yankus, MD, FAAP
expert panelist: pediatrics

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend Education.com to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely