supermint
supermint asks:
Q:

My best friend has been abusing herself.

A few months ago, it became rather noticeable that my 16 year old best friend was cutting herself. Her mother does not know how to handle the situation at all, so my mom set my best friend up with the psychiatrist who comes into our school once a week. The cuts on my friend's wrists stopped, but after a couple of weeks she told the psychiatrist she had nothing to talk about with him. Recently, it was discovered she is clinically depressed. She began acting more and more upset. We also believe she is anorexic, for she refuses to eat and lost a bunch of weight although her weight was already healthy. Two nights ago, her mother brought her over to my home in pure rage because she discovered that her daughter had been brutally beating her upper legs. My mother tried to calm her, but she couldn't handle the situation well at all. My best friend was taken to the emergency room. They say she needs to be put in a crisis center, but her mother won't send her until the end of the month so it doesn't mess with school. However, she needs help NOW. What can I, a teenager, do?
In Topics: Cutting

|

Best Answer!

Hi supermint,

Thanks so much for reaching out for help. I'm so sorry to hear that your friend is going through this extremely tough situation, and reaching out to discuss it with the JustAsk online community is very brave.

However, without knowing the full situation, an online community cannot provide all of the support and guidance that your friend needs at this point. Please try to talk to a trusted adult -- such as a guidance counselor or teacher -- in person.

Best of luck to you and your friend.

Alex
Community Team

2
0

Momeeof3
Momeeof3 writes:
Just let your friend know you care about her and you are there if she would like to talk.  Her mother needs to think about what is best for her daughter.  She NEEDS to get her help, now!!  Her life is more important than any school.

I hope this was of some help.

1
0