svartljus
svartljus asks:
Q:

Does my friend have Asperger's Syndrome?

I have a friend who many people, including myself, have always found to be very awkward and even annoying for various reasons, though he is a genuinely very nice and caring person. He/we are 22 year old senior college students. I think he may have at least a slight case of Asperger's Syndrome.  Here is why:
1) He is notorious for speaking in an overly formal manner.  
2) He is also notorious for behaving in an overly formal way.  
3) His spelling skills are very behind for his age (22).
4) He openly admits to being frequently bullied in middle school and not having a single friend in high school or middle school.  
5) He is known for taking everything literally, resulting in him having no sense for casual humor.  
6) He seems to have a lot of trouble understanding other people's views.
7) Though he is a very kind and caring person, he seems to be unable to understand how people feel.
8) Finally, he does not really have many friends. Most of the friends he has do not like him that much (he is of course unaware of this). This all is a result of situations similar to the ones described above. He is unaware of this social distance between him and his friends. I have noticed that he seems to connect well with Chinese international students at the school (i.e. people of a different culture).

Could he have Asperger's Syndrome? If not, why would a 22 guy be like this? How can I know for sure if he has Aspergers? Is there a way to test him? How could I help him?
In Topics: Cognitive development, Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

What you describe could be Asperger's Syndrome, but possibly could be learned social behaviors due to other circumstances.

To learn about Asperger's Syndrome feel free to go here:

WEBMD
http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/mental-health-aspergers-syndrome

NIH
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/asperger/detail_asperger.htm

Autism Speaks
http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/asperger-syndrome

Thank you for writing to us and being a friend to someone who has experienced many challenges.

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

0
0

dramamama444
dramamama444 writes:
Actually, yes, that sounds exactly like adult Aspie's.  In fact, there are a couple of informal quizzes online, like these two below:

http://rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/autism.htm

They're both very good, and even if you attempt to answer either quiz "by proxy" for your friend, it may give you an idea of where he "ranks", so to speak.  Keep in mind, of course, you can't "get inside his head" and know for certain what he thinks/feels, but many of the questions are fairly obvious.

There are a couple of good books about living with Asperger's on Amazon, if you do a little research on your own.  I believe there's one about "Asperger's On The Job" that deals with people your friend's age which is supposed to be excellent.  I'm a middle/high school teacher, so I deal with younger people than your friend, most of them already aware they have the disorder.  I was on this site because I needed to ask a question about an unfortunate 12-year-old boy whose parents do NOT know he's likely an Aspie.  They just think he's "quirky" because he's been home-schooled for so long, and that he's become "arrogant" because he's so smart.

If they don't find out the real reason why their son acts the way he does, he'll grow up to be an adult, clueless as to why he has no friends, and maybe he won't be so lucky as to have someone like you who cares enough to do a little research on his behalf.

0
0
rjames02
rjames02 writes:
Here is a Website for Washington, they have these websites for other states as well just type your state..
There is usually a conference the first part of August in Tri-Cities, WA it is very informational and they give lots of resources.

0
0
SaraAugustini
SaraAugustini writes:
Svartljus,
    There are several ways to have him tested to see if he is autistic. You could have his family make an appointment with his physician and and have him referred to specialists that will test him and see if he is. I am surprised that he had not been diagnosised with it earlier. I am not sure what state you are in but check with social services, austic groups, and look on the internet for other sources in your area. I hope this helps if you have any other questions please contact me.

0
0
Sivasubramanyam1016
Sivasubrama... writes:
He should know how to get along with people. None has taken care of him in correcting his attitude, now he is in a stage where he can understand every thing. Do not become a mice in the lab suspecting some syndrome. Human mind cannot be understood by machines and tested in labs. Take it seriously and learn discipline and honesty.

0
0
Anonymous